Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I get some advice on the quick and easy steps on replacement procedure? (Man...there's not much room under there.) I've got the front up on ramps, a floor jack and a piece of 2X4 under the oil pan. I removed the bolts going into the block on both sides, but the engine doesn't move when I raise the jack.The whole front does. Should I have removed the bolt though the mount first?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
The engine should lift off the mounts high enough for you to replace the mounts. You jack will, after a few pumps, start to raise the car because the bell housing will hit the floor. But still, you should have enough room to remove the mounts before the car starts to raise up.

You will need to remove the perch to get the mount out.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
The tranny should be unbolted from the crossmember, but IIRC do not unbolt the crossmember from the car. THis will allow the trans to tip down as you lift the motor to swap the motor mounts.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I have changed my motor mounts on my 66' without doing anything to the trans mount. The engine will pivot enough to
get new mounts in. The front of the car raises quite a bit
while jacking the engine also. Take the long bolts out while
the engine is down, if you can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts