Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Ford Mustang 302 V8 C4 Automatic
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1970 Stang is ready this week to have the engine put back in, so I am replacing the oil pan(which is dented) and oil pump. My question is, when installing the oil pump, do I have to torque the bolts down to a specific torque, or do I just tighten them manually without torquing them?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was afraid of. I don't have a torque wrench at home unfortunately. I also don't have the ability to drive to auto parts store or tool stores to get a torque wrench since I do not have a license yet. In addition, I don't have anyone to take me there. I also need to get this done by Friday which is the deadline for my engine to go back into the Mustang after the suspension is repaired. Is there another option you would suggest?

·
Premium Member
6,363 Posts
There are enough VMFrs in Cali somebody can probably bring you a torque wrench.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are enough VMFrs in Cali somebody can probably bring you a torque wrench.
I can't just call somebody up and have them bring a torque wrench. Besides, I wouldn't really know them. Am I able to install the oil pump without torquing it down? If possible, I can have the shop torque down the oil pump when we take the engine there.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Yes. You can tighten it down without a torque wrench.
Just make it good and tight.
If you’re confident in your tools and the strength of your wrist and forearm, you know what good and tight means.

If you’re not confident, use a torque wrench.

·
Premium Member
6,363 Posts
Finger tight and one turn with a wrench then put your pan on without the gasket to protect it during transport and yeah, check it when you get to the shop, install your gasket, torque the oil pan to spec with the crisscross pattern, and fill-er-up!

·
Premium Member
6,363 Posts
I can't just call somebody up and have them bring a torque wrench....
If I wasn't on the other side of the country, you could use mine. That's part of what VMF is about.

·
Premium Member
13,370 Posts
Harbor Freight regularly has their clicker style torque wrenches on sale for $9.99 with a coupon from their magazine ad. And if you have a fish weighing scale you can connect it to a breaker bar 1 foot from the socket and pull on the scale until it reads 25 lbs.
And I also am a proponent of the old German torque value- gutentite!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts