Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come up with an easier way to change spark plugs in a 68 428CJ? Pulling the export brace and valve covers is getting old. Just can't seem to get my paw between the shocktower and the valve cover. Putting the wires on isn't as easy as it sounds either. Runnin' out of knuckle skin !

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I had the same problem w/my 390 w/tall valve covers.

Get yourself a u-joint for your plug socket, also a 2", 4", and 6" extentions. The secret is that the u-joint doesn't always go directly on the plug socket, sometimes you have to put it between two extentions. Also, a plug-wire puller is handy, too.

You'll figure it out . . . I haven't had to remove export brace, or valve covers to change plugs since I got the u-joint.

HTH,

Rick

·
Registered
2,402 Posts

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
on tight setups I use a correct plug socket (rubber insert and hex shaped base), a socket the size of the hex base of the plug socket, and a swivel neck ratchet

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
one thing i do once the plugs are loose and also replacing the plug is using a piece of rubber hose to easily tighten up and loosen, then manuever in with your universal and extension. takes me approx 45minutes to change all 8 and i dont have small hands. also I dont remove covers or braces.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
get the craftsman swivle head ratchet and some snap on wobbles as well as some smaller sized extensions.....you shouldn't have to remove anything....

I used to use the channel locks to remove plug boots off the plugs.....just reinstall them with some clear speedo lunricant...and they'll come off easier in the future...

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Dielectric grease is a good idea for you big block guys.

Me... Takes me 5 minutes to change spark plugs AND wires... Haha.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'll be tool shopping this weekend.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks SuperCJ, I ordered the SK# 3870 from your link this morning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts