Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The compressor is off the car, so I think it will be eaiser to swap out the oil now. Can I just pour the old R-12 oil out and re-fill with R-134 oil(10oz is full according to my shop manual). BTW, what R-134 oil should I use?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Just drain old oil. Put in proper amount of ester oil. That is all there is to it.. Malcolm Stone (certified air conditioning mechanic. (retired , also )

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, :D

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
There will be oil in your ac lines that isn't accounted for. You need to measure the amount of oil that came out of the compressor and replace it with the same amount. I know its a pain but you should replace the dryer also and drain the oil from it and add exactly the same amount that was removed...

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need a new dryer & condensor anyway so they will be brand new and R-134 specific. Lines have been off for a long time so the oil has probably drained out by now. I did cap off the two inlets on the fire wall so no debris would get in. Do you know if the R-134 oil only is available at Autozone, NAPA, etc.?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
If you've got the compressor off, I'd recommend changing the dryer and flushing the lines. I couldn't beleive the amount of crud that managed to work it's way into my closed system.
It's a mess but will probably save you some heartache later. Once everything is flushed add oil enough for the whole system (check here for more info http://www.aircondition.com/wwwboard )
Also, AutoZone will rent you the vacuum and gauges ($300, but you get it all back when you return it)

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
There are two types of 134 oil on the market, ester and pag. IIRC ester is a synthetic that is compatible with both 12 and 134. It is available at any parts house and the general cost is about $1 per oz... ouch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts