Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a guy about getting a new door tag for his 65 Mustang. I told him that he can order it with whatever he wanted. He asked me if that was wrong? I personally don't have a problem with it, as long as the vin matches.

What do you guys think about this?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think it's fine as long as you disclose that you did that whenever you sell the car. I probably wouldn't do it the car was highly collectible.

·
Premium Member
11,491 Posts
As long as the VIN matches then change the other codes to match your trans, rear axle, etc. as your heart desires.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
My question is why? The tag tells how Ford built the car. You can modify your car any way you want. What purpose is there in making a tag that matches your modified car?
My answer is that at some level you want to fool people into thinking the way your car is today is the way it left the factory. No need to go there.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have never changed the info on a door tag, but I don't care if someone else does. Doors get changed around all the time, so if you don't have the correct door, then you will have to do your research on the car and get a new tag anyways. Other things could have been changed out too.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I have a replacement plate on my door which contains data updated to the specs my car has now. I can't speak to all of the replica tags out there, but I have to say it is somewhat obvious that the tag is a replacement (plus, I put "T5" for the transmission code, so it's obviously not original).

I've kept the original tag "just to have it." If I were to ever sell the car, I'd surely pass it along.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
For example, would you have a problem buying a

* 1966 Ford Mustang K-code fastback black, black interior, and M/T only to find out after purchase it was originally antique bronze with parchment interior and A/T?

* 1965 Ford Mustang A-code GT fastback with changed DATE on data-plate and find out after purchase it was built in January 1965?

:cheers:

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Pre 67 there is no Ford factory production data. 67 and newer you can get production specs. If you have a 65/66 (obviously including early 65/64 1/2) with original dealer order info (I did with my 64 1/2 vert that I factory ordered but gave it with the car when sold) that is great info.

Many vintage cars including Mustangs due to accident or rust have had the driver door replaced. That door has the warranty tag which has various production option info. The VIN gives production plant, body type and engine code. If your car is 67 and newer production data, birth date, dealer, etc, etc,etc is readily available. People doing a concours 65/66 resto where the car had the door replaced try to reconstruct the info that probably was on the door tag. Marti will re produce the tag given the VIN. The VIN will indicate T code if it's a T code, fastback if it's a fastback. Ya you can fake the color, trim, trans, rear axle.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure you could find out the original information if the tag is missing. If the person who changed it over did a good job. Sandblasted the car and it didn't have any of the original paint to prove what color it was. Did they have A/T in 66 on K code cars?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Info is available as to what options were available in a general period and with particular engine. For example a C code wasn't available with duals or GT option. Pre 67 requires extra research on a high value car.

It's much less likely someone will fake a 66 coupe, 6 cyl automatic that the driver door has been replaced
so they got a repro door tag that says auto trans, manual brakes, standard interior etc.

·
Premium Member
13,098 Posts
I'm not sure you could find out the original information if the tag is missing. If the person who changed it over did a good job. Sandblasted the car and it didn't have any of the original paint to prove what color it was. Did they have A/T in 66 on K code cars?
Yes they did, but it wasn't the garden variety C-4.

And on some of the '66 Shelby GT350's as well, all of which were build from K code cars.

Z

·
Premium Member
13,098 Posts
For example, would you have a problem buying a

* 1966 Ford Mustang K-code fastback black, black interior, and M/T only to find out after purchase it was originally antique bronze with parchment interior and A/T?

* 1965 Ford Mustang A-code GT fastback with changed DATE on data-plate and find out after purchase it was built in January 1965?
Two good examples of impending fraud somewhere down the line. Changing the door tag to suit the current condition of the car can never be encouraged.

Note: to the guy that had T-5 put in the transmission line of the tag, I see that car in 20 years on eBay going for a cool million, after all, it's the rare 1 of 1 prototype Ford secretly built with a T-5. ; )

Z

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Changing the vin is fraud, but I'm not sure the same argument could be found for the vin tag. It is not supposed to be used for vin verification. I like the original cars, so changing the vin does nothing for me. I think the money made on someone trying to fraud others out of their cash is very limited and not worth the time.

P

·
0 Posts
I have never changed the info on a door tag, but I don't care if someone else does. Doors get changed around all the time, so if you don't have the correct door, then you will have to do your research on the car and get a new tag anyways. Other things could have been changed out too.
Steve, especially with a 65/66, that door tag is the only documentation ( unless you still have the build sheet ) of what the car was born with. At least with a 67-up, the Marti or Ford report will tell you what it came with. I see no reason to alter that tag except to fool someone and possibly get more money on a sale.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
As the guy with the T-5 on the door tag, I'd say there are reasons to change the door tag that have nothing to do with "fooling someone to get more money in a sale."

My car is obviously not restored to original condition (unless you know nothing about Mustangs). However, it is pretty much comprised of stock parts that came on V8s, so- understanding my entire vision for the car is to create the car that might have existed if Ford had created a "GT Sprint" six cylinder option- I think it's cool to have a door tag that represents the way it is currently configured. (And my opinion is the one that matters to me :^).

I'm obviously not trying to fool anyone into thinking the car is something it's not (but hey, if someone wants to ante up $1m, I'm open to offers- the car is a one-of-a-kind at this point :smile2:)).

If you are swapping out tags to convince people your Prairie Bronze Mustang was originally red, yeah- you are committing fraud. If you're just using the tag to personalize the car, c'mon man.

As for the original tag, I display it in my office with a decoder sheet (coworkers refer people to it when they start asking about the "Mustang out in the parking lot").

PS- Yes, I realize the model is a '66. I found a huge (1:16 scale) '65 model I plan to assemble next winter. I just wish they included a six cylinder engine option in these model kits!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts