Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new alternaton, and a new voltage regulator on my car, but it still doesnt charge well. Its a stock replacement alternaton, but i have no aftermarket accessories... so it should be enough right? The thing doesnt charge at anything below 2000 rpms, and doesnt charge at all with the lights on. Do i just need a bigger alternator, or is there a bigger more expensive problem hiding somewhere?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I Would think that the problem would be with the voltage regulator. if that is 2000 engine rpm then that is 4000 alternator RPM and that is were alternators should charge at. why not take it to the local friendly autoparts chain and have it load checked.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, ill do that tomarrow. ::

·
Registered
479 Posts
Trust but confirm. I just went through a similar problem. I ended up replacing all the harneeses only to find the same problem. The local autozone told me my alternator and voltage regulator were good and that the problem was in the wiring. I later went to NAPA to have them test the new Alternator and they said it was bad and gave me a new one. It turned out to be a defective alternator.

·
Registered
224 Posts
What diagnostics do you have that show it is not charging well? What are the symptoms? Won't start, low voltage at the battery, lights dim, AMP meter at center or leaning to (D)ischarge?

I also had a crappy rebuild alternator from the parts store once. Turned out to be really shoddy solder connections on the inside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts