Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw a 85 ford LTD for a very low price and I was wondering if the automatic transmission in the car has overdrive. Also would this engine do much in an early stang? I would change the intake, and carb but not sure about cylinder heads. Is this just a waste of time and money? Any thoughts out there. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I am not expecting this thing to tear up a dragstrip just wondering if it would have decent power and good mileage around town.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
If you can pick it up for less than 2K it's a good deal! If it's an '85 and it has a V8, it's either an LTD LX or and ex-cop LTD. Both are excellent sleeper cars. I think the engine is equivalent to the CFI '85 Mustang roller motor, about 165HP. The heads aren't the E7 heads but the car is very rare and desireable among the LTD crowd.

Here are two good URLs you can go to to learn more about these cool cars:

http://home.earthlink.net/~jopeterson/

and

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/8369/LTD.html

These cars are Fox chassis cars which means you can stuff anything on 'em that a '79-'93 Mustang had.

I happen to know the guy who converted his '85 LX CFI engine to a full '93 Cobra engine and installed SN95 Mustang front suspension with the 13" cobra brake rotors (and has the 11" rear disc similar to what the SVO's had).

I'm pretty sure a stock LTD LX can stomp a stock '65 A -code flat.

I think the LTD had an AOD.

The difference between the LTD LX and the LTD cop car is that the LX had a tachometer and the cop car had a calibration certified speedo which reads up to 140MPH. The only cars with both the 140 speedo and the tach are modifieds. At the Knotts Fabulous Fords Forever, Four of these LTDs were there. One was the Cobra-ized version and the other was James Peterson.

Check out the websites, you may want to buy it and drive it as it is. If you can get it lower than 1K you can fix it up nice and sell it for 4K easily.

If it's near Ventura County, California, I'm gonna cry!

Regards,

Dean T

·
Administrator
19,339 Posts
I used the same setup in SWMBO's 86 Mustang. The LTD should have an AOD in it, double check. No it's not super hoss, but her car gets up and goes as fast as she wants. It runs smooth, gets OK mileage, and more importantly is dead reliable.
If mild rather than wild suits you, an intake change, cam, and headers will produce some surprising power and a car that is fun to drive. I recommend one of the torque/economy cams.
If you choose to upgrade later on, a 302 doesn't know if it's in a station wagon or a Mustang and will respond to power upgrades just the same. On Swmbo's car I went ahead and replaced the timing chain, bearings, and some other stuff. Basically the motor was OK when we got it, but I just don't trust used engines. Reliabilty was #1 concern. 4 years later it still runs strong.
The only thing you're really missing out on with the 85 LTD is a roller cam like the later Mustangs have. You can still use a retrofit kit if you really want one. I've never bothered (yet).
The 85 heads aren't the best, but neither are they horrible. If you don't plan to drag race or spend a pile of money on the engine, I say go for it. It worked for us.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I just picked up a lincoln Mark VII at the local auction for $600. The Lincolns, alone with mustangs, capri's and i belleave a couple years of thunderbirds used the High Output engine where the LTD would be the standard 5.0. The desired years are 89-92 are the desired years. The advantages of the high output are, forged pistons, forged rods, better heads, roller rocker. The lincoln's need to upgraded to MASS air but that is only $150-200 on that e-auction site. BTW, the lincoln actually runs decent except that it needs tires and the radio is broken and the air suspension is jacked all the way up. None of which is a problem to me.

The good news for finding lincolns cheap is that ford was using some really crappy paint back then, the air suspension was really crappy and it cost a grand to replace it with springs and shocks, the digital dash was crappy and was prone to stop working and cost a lot to fix and if thats not enough the leather is crappy and is falling apart. HMMMM, not a glowing recomendation of a lincoln but a pretty good source for a 5.0 H.O. It also has the same AOD transmission as the LTD.

In addition the lincoln uses the same brakes as the mustang SVO (11"?) and these parts have some resale value for people wanting to convert a 4 bolt wheel mustang over to a 5 bolt wheel. OR i've also seen brackets on the web to bolt up the lincolns rear brakes to a 9" (and i think 8") rear end.

G

·
0 Posts
I've been DYING to find a MKVII that cheap! All I want is the body. Guess I shouldn't tell you guys this(maybe someone will turn me on to one???) The lower A-arms are worth between $200-$400 if the ball joints are good. Same as an SVO & I need them too!!!!!!!!!! Pleeezeeeeee help /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so for $899 it is worth it? How do I make sure it has overdrive without looking at it? (Car is cheap but a bit of a drive away) Thanks for all the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts