Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Cheap Aftermarket Carb for 66 289

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  cturboaddict 
#1 ·
So, I got a wonderful video sent to me from the body shop of my Mustang dumping fuel from the accelerator pump and power valve on the 2 barrel 289. To the point of the fuel ponding on the intake and splashing the exhaust when idling. Thankfully nothing caught fire. It's an older aftermarket 2100 knock off.

Come to find out the body shop had noticed a small leak from the accelerator pump and decided to take it upon themselves to disassemble and put back together. Obviously they jacked that up because it was getting much worse. Regardless, they are good group of guys and appreciate their tenacity, but wish they would of just called.

I already have an intake and 4b Edelbrock I'm planning on putting on. But need to get the car down the road home when it's done. And I'd rather swing by the shop and throw a cheapie carb on there just for safety measures.
Curiosity, has anyone ever purchased one of these 2100 china carbs off of amazon? I found 2, and just wonder if I'm getting myself into deeper poo than needed to. I only need something to get it moving in and out of the shop.

Thoughts? I just figured it would be easier than rebuilding a carb I won't use.

See less See more
#4 ·
Plus they'll need to pull it in and out of the booth multiple times.

#3 ·
Cause the carb costs less than a tow.

#7 ·
You know what, I might even have a new power valve at home in my collection of carb rebuild stuff.
I'm just assuming it's that FYI as that's where it's leaking.

#8 ·
#10 ·
Good point. I didn't notice that at all, as all of them are labeled 2100. Lesson learned today about the differences for sure.

#12 ·
Well, looks like I've got 2 new rebuild kits. I'll go yank the carb and rebuild it.

#14 ·
My god, I'm a goon. Didnt think of that. Grand idea

#17 ·
The least expensive route is to just rebuild your existing carb and replace the power valve/gaskets to stop the leaking.

Or...

Since you already have a 4v Edelbrock intake manifold, just get an inexpensive Summit 4 barrel carburetor.

The M2008 series carburetors are based on the original Autolite 4100 design. I've heard good reports about the carb from friends.

#18 ·
I've got the carb. I have an older weiland intake that I need to do some minor work on. Or buy a new intake.
But I also have 2 rebuild kits, and bought the 2b intake to 4b carb adapter as well.
For now, I'm just gonna yank the 2b carb off of it and do a quick cleaning and rebuild.

Reactions: myfirstcar66
#19 ·
For now, I'm just gonna yank the 2b carb off of it and do a quick cleaning and rebuild.
The 2100 is still one of the best carbs ever made, easiest to rebuild and most reliable, offering very good performance for a cruiser or streetcar unless you really just need the four barrels. I put my first 4-barrel on whenever I was about 17, not that I really needed it haha but, it's hard to beat that sound when they're all open at a perfectly legal time and place!!

#20 ·
Thanks everyone for all the help. I yanked the carb yesterday and rebuilt it. There was a bunch of algae/varnish smelling fuel in the bowl, and a tear in the diaphram. Now to address that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.