Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I know that these Distributors are not the best, but which one of these three would you choose?

·
Registered
20,541 Posts
I have a AutoZone, made by Spectra. I have to say I'm very impressed by the quality! If you're looking for a cheap distributor, a Spectra is what you want. I bought the Duraspark version for a 1985 Mustang 5.0, 5 speed since I needed it for a roller cam motor with a carb

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a stock 289 4V. I bought the Cardone and updated it with a Pertronix II ignition. I then sent it to have the timing curve checked and the vacuum advance timing set to match the service manual specifications . Runs great. You can try installing one out of the box, but I chose to verify before installing.

·
Registered
34,637 Posts
I'll second Tom's recommendation on the Spectra. I'd also get the DurasparkII unit, a '84 or older for cast iron gear or '85 for steel, a couple 3-pin IP65 weatherproof connectors, a Mopar ignition box and repair pigtail to clean things up nicely.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Just remember on an old Mustang if you replace the distributor you will be loosing your original distributor with the correct casting numbers and even the correct build date for your car. Do not give them your original distributor as a core!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I've discovered that those hearts have some meaning on RockAuto. Go too cheap and no heart and you might not be happy. I've had some bad luck with Spectra Premium. Cordone remanufactured parts have been some of the worst. I assume these are all new distributors. Since World Power Systems has a heart and it's not Spectra Premium or Cardone it might be OK. WPS has a similar part number to Cardone and may come out of the same factory.

Whichever you choose, you should have the advance checked before you install it. It has been reported here that many are off. Depending on what is wrong with your distributor it might be reparable.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I also have the Autozone distributor in my Duraspark system. I asked for a Granada V8, which was the same as a Mustang V8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Allright, thanks for the reply's.
Seems like the Spectra is the one to go with, even though it is the cheapest.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
have you tried calling Dan at GN to find a correct numbered one for your car

if not then at least send him the spectra for a complete setup

·
Registered
144 Posts
Buy the new one from autozone, if you buy a rebuilt unit the shaft will have a second hole drilled in it for the drive gear, like the cardone I bought at o'riley when they closed them out at $25.

·
Registered
840 Posts
if not then at least send him the spectra for a complete setup
The last Spectra I bought (85 Duraspark), the internals(weights and reluctors) were different than the factory Ford distributors and did not look to be interchangeable. I would call Dan to see if he can still recurve them. My reluctor did not have to be changed or flipped, so I was able to just change the springs to get the desired advance by rpm I was after.

·
Registered
20,541 Posts
The last Spectra I bought (85 Duraspark), the internals(weights and reluctors) were different than the factory Ford distributors and did not look to be interchangeable. I would call Dan to see if he can still recurve them. My reluctor did not have to be changed or flipped, so I was able to just change the springs to get the desired advance by rpm I was after.
That is something I was wondering too. What springs did you use, meaning where did you get them and what application? I haven't seen too many spring kits as of lately for Ford's. I just see one kit with the lightest springs.

·
Registered
840 Posts
That is something I was wondering too. What springs did you use, meaning where did you get them and what application? I haven't seen too many spring kits as of lately for Ford's. I just see one kit with the lightest springs.
I have an assortment of old distributors I can rob from. Usually if you change out the stiff spring with a medium one that will get your advance you want by X rpm pretty close. Last spring my eldest son and I spent an entire day dialing in this new 5.0L using this new Spectra distributor. I had it out 4 times I believe to swap out springs.

·
Registered
20,541 Posts
I have an assortment of old distributors I can rob from. Usually if you change out the stiff spring with a medium one that will get your advance you want by X rpm pretty close. Last spring my eldest son and I spent an entire day dialing in this new 5.0L using this new Spectra distributor. I had it out 4 times I believe to swap out springs.
Recurving mine is next on the list after getting my new 3.55 and mufflers back in. Years ago you could get the kits with 3 sets of springs. Now I only see 1 kit with just the lightest set of springs. I wonder where shops get their springs. Has to be some type of generic application or something. I think I have old Accel spring kit someplace. I'll have to check

·
Registered
840 Posts
Recurving mine is next on the list after getting my new 3.55 and mufflers back in. Years ago you could get the kits with 3 sets of springs. Now I only see 1 kit with just the lightest set of springs. I wonder where shops get their springs. Has to be some type of generic application or something. I think I have old Accel spring kit someplace. I'll have to check
Yeah, most kits that contain multiple spring sizes include the vac pod as well.
Crane Vacuum Advance Kits 99607-1
This is for a Duraspark. This kit used to include 3 spring sizes, now it only has 2. Doubtful one would use the heavy springs anyways.

Stole this off another site

·
Registered
34,691 Posts
The springs need changing only rarely, most adjustment is made by bending the spring post.

·
Registered
383 Posts
You do not need a distributor machine to re-curve the advance. You just need an adjustable timing light and you can do it all by yourself. Do as much on your car yourself as you can so you will learn

1 - 18 of 18 Posts