Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been 3 years and 3 months since I bought a rebuilt starter from Pep Boys. During that time and including today I've replaced it 3 times! Last year I replaced it because the two super long screws that hold the casing together FELL OUT! I noticed that the casing threads on one were stripped.

Today at the small airport where I hang out the starter acts like the battery is dead. The starter started smoking internally. I had my trusty volt/ohm meter with me to double check things and a retired TRW electrical engineer and retired FORD mechanic (who owns two Mustangs) run over to help out. That was real cool of them. Took the starter out and got a lift home to fetch my "PEP BOYS" file folder (not really but I should make one) and get the receipt once again. Had another airport friend give me a ride back to reinstall. Now the hole where the top bolt (of three) goes into the trans (C4) is stripped. Guess I'll have to thru bolt it. Best part was a buddy slipped me a cold beer to smooth me out.

Been going to Pep Boys since 1972 when I used to buy bicycle parts and worked there once during Christmas assembling bikes. Seems the quality has gotton worse and the kids behind the counter don't want to (or don't know how to) look in a book.

Okay, I feel better now. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I get low-stressed parts from them...but don't bother with their service!!!!!!

Had a ranger V6 that died and would run for half a second.....the mech they had showed me the fuel pressure (injected) after a while fell to squat....he swore it was the front fuel pump and if it didn't fix it we would work someting out.

Well, it didn't and we found out 100 miles from home, outside montgomery, at 3pm on a sunday!!! (did I mention it was 89 degrees out?!?!) GRRR!!

A trooper came by and called a towtruck that arrived 90 minutes after it died (89 degrees) and took it to a firestone that was closing. We left it, took a cab to an Avis, and continued on in a rental to our destination.

Firestone had it 6 days, at the end of which they said they couldn't find the problem. WHEN WE GOT THERE, ONE OF THE MANAGERS ATTEMPTED TO CHARGE US THE 60 BUCKS FOR A DIAGNOSIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got a news flash; I'm sure AS HELL not going to pay anyone short of God almighty for diagnosis unless they can tell me whats wrong!!!! My wife and I couldn't have timed our simultaneous rants to that manager any better!!!

Before I left I copied a family member's chilton wiring diagram color codes for the circuit for the fuel pumps and bought a crappy little multimeter, just in case. SO HERE I AM IN ALABAMA 105 DEGREE HEAT INDEX TROUBLESHOOTING!!! LOL!

Turns out the pumps weren't getting voltage. The last tech stated they dont troubleshoot electrical stuff.....OK, how hard is it to verify an absence of fuel pressure, then use a test light to look for fuel pump voltage? all you need to verify is a bright test light on one of the wires!!!

The relay under the hood wasn't getting a ground thru the harness..everything else electrical worked OK, so I just cut the wire close to the relay connector, grounded under the relay mount bracket, AND DROVE OUT OF THEIR PARKING LOT AND 210 MILES TO MY NEXT DESTINATION.

now, was that so freakin hard?

To add insult to injury, the clutch started giving out at our next stop, and only a pep boys could do it quickly...500 bucks more to a store chain we didn't want to do business with (not to mention the money!!)

The trip had it's ups and downs, but a little adventure never hurts anyone....besides, I got the satisfaction of fixing the truck when they couldn't, in their own parking lot (and in front of my wife), and driving away!! Talk about a tim allen gruntfest!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We once had the air conditioning pump et al replaced on our 87 Camry by Pep Boys. I take it home and the A/C won't shut off! Also a bolt holding the alternator brackett in place above the A/C was overtightened and broke inside the engine block. They jury rigged it. Took it to the dealer and now its $900 just to fix the broken bolt! They need to pull the engine to get to it. Pep Boys gave me my $600 back and we eventually got the bolt fixed.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
You could've replaced Pep Boys with JC Whitney and kept the rest of the text the same, at least for one starter I got.

I'm perennially cheap so I took the basically junk core (trust me, it was junk when I got done with it *G*) to Autozone and got a lifetime warranty Duralast and promptly voided the warranty by taking it apart to see if it was any good inside. To my surprise, nearly everything in the starter was brand new...and the race car has been starting good ever since.

Sometimes it pays to pay the piper *G*....next time I'll get one of those fancy gear reduction hi torque whizz bang doomaflatchies...

hehehe

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Took two drums to Pep Boys. They looked good but I wanted them checked for true. The mechanic assisting me put the drum micrometer on them and reported the drums were 10.005" with 0.011" runout. I asked him to turn them just until the runout was corrected. When I picked up the drums I asked him to check them again. They were 10.060" with 0.004" runout. Basically they took a nearly new set of drums and turned the life right out of them. I was really PO'ed but the damage was done. Looks like a new set of rear drums is in my immediate future!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts