Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I wanted to fire up the 260 that came in the 64½ coupe before I pull it this weekend. It was rebuilt 5 years a go, before the po was hit and totaled the mustang. He never fired the engine after that, nor did he prep or properly store the engine for long term. It is not frozen as I had checked that when I bought it. Nor did I want to try and fire it up before I could prep it first as not to break anything! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

What is the best procedure to go about this?

I was going to pull the plugs and squirt a little wd-40 in each cylinder, pull the carb, and flush it out, check the oil, and replace if necessary, by-pass the fuel tank. Anything else?

I want to get it running, and tuned up, rebuild the carb. etc. before I pull it to sell. Once I have it out, I will be replacing all of the gaskets & seals as well as doing some cosmetic detailing. Do you think I should make a Mpeg of it running in the car, before I pull it out? It can't stay in the car as the car will be gone by the end of next week.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
You are already on the right track with what you said. The only thing I could add is go ahead and dump the oil and filter and add a quart of MM in the new oil. When you pickle it pull the air filter and streach plastic wrap or tin foil across the top of the carb, (pushed down over the stud) and put the filter box back on to hold it. Also be sure you drain the carb and fuel pump by pulling the hose out of the can and letting the engine run out of gas.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I don't think I'd use wd-40, too thin. I've used a bit of motor oil but I've heard Marvel Mystery oil is better. I'd crank the engine by hand a few times and then turn it with the starter but leaving the coil wire off. Then running it a low rpm initially. Just my thoughts

You could go from just starting it to practically rebuilding it or somewhere in between. I assume you changed the oil and filter.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You might check that rubber fuel line going to the carb, it might be cracked or broken. I hate a Mustang with a burning engine compartment, don't ask. Bypassing the gas tank is a good idea. I had a Ranchero that i was trying to start and the screen on the pick-up was gooped up with old gummy gasoline. Didn't think of it until after I had put 5 gallon of gas in the tank.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If it stands that long, and never been cranked, it will be dry as H***. I will use Priming tool (u can buy it for $10 bucks in Summit or PAW) Take out the distributor and prime it good with drill. Than spill oil over the rockers, they will not be oiled.
Just 2 cents

G

·
0 Posts
what i did when i fired up the 289 for the first time in around 3 years was replaced all the plugs,points,and oil, that was just a start,luckily thats all it took, good luck -Pete

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Doug,
If the engine doesn't have any obvious leaks or problems, I'd just pop the radiator cap to make sure there's coolant in there, drain the oil and change the filter, pull the spark plugs and squirt some MM oil in there (leave the plugs out) and drain the gas tank if it's not already dry (unless you hook the fuel pump to a gas can). Visually check the condition of the fuel line/hose. Replace plugs, cap, rotor, condensor and points (and plug wires if they appear cracked). Once everything is ready to go and some fresh gas is in the tank (or you could hook a hose from the pump to a gas can, since you're going to crush the car), with charged battery installed, turn engine over by hand though 2 revolutions just to make sure nothing is bound up (you can adjust the points at this time). Then, engage starter and crank for 20 seconds or so, noting anything extraordinary. This should fill the carb and get some oil circulating. If the oil pressure light doesn't go out while cranking this way, repeat cranking for another 20 seconds...if still nothing, you might want to physically check for oil pressure before continuing. Then install plugs and attempt to fire.

You might want to have a squirt bottle of gas to squirt down the carb to get things going and a fire extinguisher in case they get going too well...*G*

Let us know how it goes!

G

·
0 Posts
if you can do all the above. Also if time permits,you could relube cam bearings.Some do it and some dont. If it was a valuable engine i would say defiantely. But its not so its up to you. just my 2 cents..

G

·
0 Posts
I pretty much did what camachinist did after my 302 sat for 15 years uncranked. But I bypassed the tank and old fuel lines by running a fuel line from the fuel pump to a plastic gas can about ten feet from the car with fresh gas in it. Also primed the carb. with fresh gas.

My 15 year old points looked so good that I did nothing to the dist., plugs, wires. All I changed was the battery and battery cable and it fired up and went into a smooth isle.

What an engine!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts