Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked these wheels up real cheap as you can see why in the first photo. I went ahead and media blasted the entire wheel. Was going to only do the center, but decided to blast the outer edge as well. This left the whole wheel looking like the center when I was done. I found out we had an old electric brake lathe at work stuck back in the corner all covered up, so I pulled it out, and fitted the wheel on so it would turn at a steady rpm. I started with 600 grit and started wet sanding the outer edge, basically just sitting the paper on the wheel and letting the spinning wheel do the work. After a while I went up to 1500 grit, and continued to wet sand for another 15 minutes.

After I did that, I took just a little aluminum polish, and hand rubbed the outer rim a little just to see how it was going to come out. I think it came out pretty good for wheels that has seen nothing but many years out in a open field. I am still going to go back at it with some more sanding, and then I will be using a high speed polisher with a special wheel used for aluminum.

These won't be perfect, but will work for what I'm going to use them for! Just got to find me some correct center caps for these that either say Ansen, or some early American Racing caps. I think I will leave the centers the natural color, and just use a clear over them.

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL76/711583/1216381/31808587.jpg
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL76/711583/1216381/31808589.jpg

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've already been to that site and emailed them. Unfortunately they don't have any of the Top Eliminator caps available for re-sale, just the Ansen Sprint caps. :(

·
Registered
921 Posts
Excellent job!! Sweeeet!!

K

·
0 Posts
Great job Doug. Be careful though your employers might consiider you their new expert in refinishing wheels. ::

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nah! That wasn't in our agreement when I came to work, however... neither was actually working on the cars as I was hired just to manage the place. Oh' wait? working on the cars was my idea! :p

·
Registered
562 Posts
Doug: VERY nice job. Post some pics after their done.. Would that be a dufus of the PO puting the weights on the face side instead of the back? Mark

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Nice work Doug, most of us would have turn atil and run from those wheels! I'm inspired to take on a challange like that someday should a deal present itself! :)

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Those turned out nicely Doug ! Ain't it amazing what a little effort can do? Nice job. :: Dickson

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would that be a dufus of the PO puting the weights on the face side instead of the back? Mark
Nope, I think the doofus was they stuck them where ever they could. Each wheel has them in a different spot (front, back,)

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Lookin good! The difference is amazing.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I will give you a 2 thumbs up. It is amazing what a little or alot work can do with what looks like junk.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Hey Doug,I got my wheels all boxed up and will ship to you on Monday .they look a little worse than yours did but I'm sure you can make them look new again. :: :: ::

1 - 17 of 17 Posts