Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
www.outgunned.net

I am trying to price out a turbo setup but I dont know a whole lot about it yet. I am gonna start by getting this header but was wondering what turbo would work? Any clues?

·
Registered
579 Posts
please do some research about turbos/manifolding/carb reworking..etc before purchasing expensive parts.

I think a grand national turbo otta work well. I'm not sure what flange that has though...(t3 or t4)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard a lot that I don't know what I am getting into when it comes to turbo. Is it that bad? I admit that I am fairly ignorant on the subject but is it that unrealistic? I know you have to mod the carb to allow fow for the intake. Do you also need to route an oil line from your oil pan to the turbo? What are the major pitfalls of turbo and what is most likely to give me the hardest time?

·
Registered
579 Posts
i'm not trying to discourage you at all....i say go for it. If i had a 6cyl car...it would get turbo'd. The exhaust will require fabrication by either yourself or a decent exhaust shop. Puchasing a header takes away most of the headaches. You'll need to run an oil feed line from your block (you can run a splitter at the same port your oil pressure gauge is) to the turbo, and a drain from teh turbo to the pan. (Meaning you'll have to drill and tap into the pan) You'll need to make a custom inlet from teh turbo to the carb. You can purchase a Holley tuning book to spell out how to set up the carb for boost. Atleast on a 6 cyl car you'll have room to work. Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Tons of good information from a one or two that have done what you're looking into at www.fordsix.com.

IIRC, the Buick turbo is the part of choice.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I think that header is a home made one and not available commercially but I could be wrong. A good turbo would be a T3/T4 hybrid from a Grand National as was already posted. Edit: look for an A/R of 60./.63.

Also, get THIS book and read through it twice, then start building, there is TONS of info in it. It's become my bible ::

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK I will grab that book. Do you think the turbo would be better for HP then just headers?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Do you think the turbo would be better for HP then just headers?
Definitely! And although the stock manifold is pretty restrictive you could port it a little bit (along with the head would be a good idea) and it will work ok unless you're after some serious power, then I'd say drop a V8 in ;) Also check out www.fordsix.com(I think someone already posted it :eek:), there is a whole forum there dedicated to forced induction and nitrous.

·
Registered
287 Posts
There is another book that has some decent information in it also. Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. Between the two you get some good information.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts