Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at a for-sale 66 coupe yesterday. The asking price, $10,500 is too high. Here is the url to the pics. I won't link it directly because they are all 3 megs or so. But if you would, please look and advise what youy think it might be worth, and I'll pass it along to her. Defects especially noted were rust bubbles on the forward bottom corners of both doors, missing smog plumbing (thermactor car) and a cracked windshield. Otherwise this is a nice car with air and factory disc brakes.

The pics can be found at
www.ken-neely.com/DSC_2728.JPG also 29 through 41 same format.

It is a sweet car that runs well, just too much $$

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Only pic that came up for me was a pic of the trunk. Is the car an A code or a C code? Is paint on it original? Is it a CA car? The lack of smog stuff is no detractor from value in my eyes. Working Ford factory a/c can add $2K - $3K to the value of a car so that is a plus. If the car is a C code coupe it is probably worth $ 7,000 - $ 9,000 assuming the rest of the car is straight & rust free & everything else is is good or better condition. If it is an A code & a GT it will be worth more. Hard to really tell you value without viewing car & other pic's but I think above is a good ballpark.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Yaeh, nice BIG picture of the trunklid :p

·
Registered
2,032 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You betcha !

I shoot reference photos to full available size in the camera's .jpg format - about 3000x2000 pixels. It allows the party on the other end to view a large image so as to see things I might have neglected to mention. I may have mentioned that I shoot glamour a lot, I will leave the possibilities to your imagination ! :D

I could have sent them RAW - 20 megs apiece !

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
There is also rust under the weatherstripping at the top back of the doors. The doors probably have serious problems inside.

The rest of the sheet metal looks very nice overall though. What did it look like underneath?

If it is a "A" code with factory disc brakes it has a reasonable chance of being a factory GT.

No idea of the value (sorry).

John Harvey

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Yeah, it would be interesting to know the "C/A/K-code" question. Did you check the door tag/VIN? By present California standards, with factory air, discs and pony int., even as a C-code, I'd say you were in the $8-$8,500 neighborhood, easily. Obviously the A or K would elevate that. And one always has to assume that $10,500 is just the starting point for negotiations (unless its a K), especially with a classic car! Wouldn't you start out as high as you could, just to see if some unknowing sucker would actually plunk down the outrageous amount of green stuff? ::

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dang, I'm asleep this morning - the VIN is :

6RO7A169907

Buck Tag shows :

65B U 67A 24B 71 L (couldn't read the trans, but it's a C4)

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Underneath was perfect except for one "bash" on the outside bottom of the P/S frame rail - Someone ran over something, I expect. No rust on the bottom, no other visible dents at all.. I have pics of that too but didn't have time to upload them from home before work this a.m. ::

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Wouldn't you start out as high as you could..."

Yipper ! I have a black belt in wheelin' and dealin'...

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
"Wouldn't you start out as high as you could..."

Yipper ! I have a black belt in wheelin' and dealin'...
Well, good, that's gotta be the biggest advantage in buying one of these things (outside of knowing what you're talking about, which obviously you've got covered)!
You know it had the pony int. from the factory, looks like its the right color, AND its an A-code. Gotta be worth $8,000-$9,000 the way prices are going these days.
Good luck!

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
10.5k is too high for not knowing what might be lurking below the interior carpet and trunk.
There are other fish in the sea....

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Cosmo -

Thanks alot for the pics - I'm going down the same raod with the same color scheme, so now I have an example of what color to paint what interior part or surface!!

BTW, your instructions as to how to access the pics were quite clear.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Ken,

Thanks for inspecting this car and posting the photos. Here are some things I noted.

1. The trunk lid appears to have been painted with the weatherstrip still in place since that also appears to have been painted.

2. There is paint flaking off the dash.

3. The driver door appears to be slightly misaligned. Does it sag at all, maybe need a new hinge?

4. Rust bubbles forming on both doors. Bad paint prep or bigger problems inside the doors?

5. Driver seat back appears to be weak since it leans back farther than the passenger side.

Here is the OTHER A-code that Marianne is considering:

http://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/403/password//sort/1/cat/500/page/2

Asking price on that car is $9K.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts