Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know that checking the ATF level on a C4 tranny has to be done in idle, with the engine/tranny being warm/hot.

But, what excactly does that mean? I mean I want an accurate reading, so how long do I have to drive the car to get it "hot"? Is there a rule of thumb.
Of course I can tell when the engine is "hot". But when will I get an accurate reading of the C4 fluid level?

Will a short trip around the block do, or will I need to go 10,miles or something in order to get the tranny/ATF "hot"?

I know this sounds rather silly, but as mentioned before, I need a rather accurate reading as Im having some problems with the tranny... .

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Drive the car until the engine is up to full normal operating temp. The trans fluid will be ready for 'reading' then.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Umm, thats what Im trying to figure out.
I need to find out if I overfilled it, or if theres a "real" leak. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Get the level where it should be. Then wipe down the tranny as best you can from underneath. A common place is where the fill tube goes into the tranny. There is an O-ring that fits on the end of the fill tube. Sometimes it's bad or missing.

If you get the tranny as cleaned up as possible, it will be easier to trace the route of the leaking fluid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts