Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all:
I noticed a few red drips on the garage floor after driving the Mustang around in DC's mid-90s yesterday. Driver's side front, right below the PS control valve. By the time I noticed them the car had cooled down all the way. I checked the dipstick in the PS pump and had fluid well into the hatched area (but not to the top of it), so I ran the engine for about five minutes to warm it up. The temp guage came up to its usual spot. Turned the wheels from lock to lock 4x. When I checked the PS fluid level again it was the same and the fluid on the dipstick was not hot.

1. Did I run the engine long enough to get a proper read on the PS fluid level?
2. I haven't crawled under yet to check closely but I suspect the hoses... will I need a line wrench to tighten them all properly when I replace?

TIA

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
A line wrench would definately be recommended for looseing/tightening PS lines. The PS fluid doesn't get all that hot, since it doesn't get circulated through the engine at all. I'd say your reading was fine.

If your '69 is anything like my daughter's, I'd replace ALL the lines. We have replaced them one by one on her car as each one, in turn, blew. The only line we haven't replaced is the return line ... but we'll be changing it this weekend, as it's now leaking as of 2 days ago /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, John. What size line wrench or do they just come in a standard set with several sizes? I need to get some that will work on the brake lines too....
regards,
Ken

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
The two flare wrenches that are indespensible are: 3/8-7/16 and 1/2-9/16.

However, a craftsman set of 6 wrenches (or whatever it is) isn't that much more than just buying those two wrenches individually.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts