Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing that really pisses me off is when people ruin a good ford hot rod by putting a chevy engine in them. Please tell me its just because 350's are a dime a doz. Do they actually think a chevy engines are better than fords? (let the fighting begin /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Actually, my dad just bought a 1934 Ford Pickup project vehicle. It's got a 350 in it at the moment, but me and my brother talked him into getting rid of it, and swapping in a 302. Go Ford!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I'm with you ,,I always wanted to put a ford engine in a chevy but I was afraid people would think I liked chevys then

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
While I prefer to see a 302 or 351W in a Ford, it's very understandable as to why you see so many with 350's. Just look at any speed shop, or even a Summit catalog. If you're buying parts for a 350, you have to wade through tons of specs and lists of available parts to decide what you want. With a Ford engine, you hope there's something you can use, and if there's a choice, it's an added bonus.

I have a friend with a T-bucket w/350. Another arugment the t-bucket guys give for putting in the 350 is the distributor in the back is a cleaner look with an exposed engine.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
GUILTY !!! I bought a 35 ford sedan. it already had 350 motor mts. i had a 350 motor on an engine stand. i just about had to. if i was to build another street rod-ford, i would go with a ford motor. i think johnpro had it right though.350 parts- chevy parts are so easy to get. i would never change this car, but i do wish it was all ford.oh, well maybe ill do it right next time. later!

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
Fords own warehouses can't keep up with all the different engines and their parts . Just look at how many different diesel engines they have put in the pick-ups and they're coming out with a completly different one in 2004 .

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
That's exactly the case. Not only can a Cheby owner get any part that they want, they can get it at half the price of an equivilent Ford part. No two ways about it, the cheapest hp per $ is from a Chevy.

Of course, I'll leave out the facts about how their oil galleys always crack, the camshafts don't get enough oil, the distributor is a PIA to get to, their exhaust ports are cause for more extream thermal stresses, and some used nylon timing gears. Oh yeah, and I'll add that a Ford may cost twice as much to build, but it'll last twice as long.

One day I'm going to buy a '69 Camaro and put a Ford 302 in it. Then, I'm going to cover it with Z28 badges. The knowledgeble chevy guys know how valuable an original Chevy 302 is, so when they ask "whatcha got in it?" I'll say "oh, a 302." That'll be my revenge. Of course, I'll never drive it, cuz I don't want to have to tow it home.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
A Chevy in a Ford? Heresey!!! Get the rope!!

We had friends who put a 350 in a VW bug. Stock looking sleeper except with the engine up front (louvered hood) and fuel tank in the original engine compartment, the driver sat raised off the floor pan and in the back seat! Real clean original looking otherwise.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
As much as it may hurt, the Chevy V8 is one of the best small automotive engines ever made. It is a great engine for a street rod project for reasons given. The cost to acquire, rebuild, hot rod a SBC is a full third cheaper than doing the same with a SBF. Both engines are great engines and have survived for 40-50 years. That fact alone attests to how good both of them are.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I can take a chevy in a street rod, like the three window early Ford kits out nowdays. What I can't stand is a chevy motor in a Mustang or a kit Cobra. That really really ticks me off.

G

·
0 Posts
The 350 chevy motor are a dine a dozen.I hate to see chevy motors or trans in any Ford street rod or kit car.I think the Fords should have Ford power.My father inlaw has a real sweet 55 Ford P-up.Lots of cool parts,and yes a 350 chevy motor and trans.Well my brother inlaw works for a chevy dealership and has for years.He gets some great deals on parts.

Ron

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Actually, the reason I was fortunate enough to receive an original Cobra intake for my D-coder was because a friend decided to go SBC in his street rod and gave me a number of his Ford items......so you won't be hearing me bitchin' about Chevies too much...*G*

Also, there was a time, long ago, when nearly all the fast Mustangs at the local dragstrips (in the bracket classes) had SBC's or BBC's in them; it just wasn't cost-effective at that time to build a quick Ford...I remember many seasons racing the race car where I was the lone SBF-powered Mustang in Pro, racing a sea of Camaro's/Chevy 2's and various assorted sundry Mopar products, and a few SBC powered Mustangs, which were running solid 10's at the time compared to my low 11's...

My, how times have changed *G*

G

·
0 Posts
It's certainly nothing new, it started when they introduced the SBC in 1955, up until then the flathead ford was the favorite street rod engine. The ford SBF wasn't much until the 289 was introduced, by then it was too late.

G

·
0 Posts
Amen to that! I think any one that puts a SBC or BBC in any Ford needs to be shot. It's Sacreligious. I've been a Ford lover for over 20 years and have endured much ridicule from friends and family that love Chevies. But my love for the Blue Oval makes it worth while. It's true that Chevy performance parts are more abundant and cheaper, but the extra cost of building a Ford Motor pays off in the end. Happily, things are changing and more and more performance Ford parts are becoming available and prices are coming down. As far as I'm concerned there's no argument legitimate enough to justify contaminating any Ford with Chevy parts. On another note; "turn about is fair play". Look how many Chevy guys put 9" rear ends in their cars. However, that pisses my off too, cause they're grabbing them all up and there aren't enough left for us True Blue folks. I'll get off my soap box now. Just Venting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts