Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something I see all the time at car shows, it drives me crazy!! Are those guy who do this so full of ego for the general that they feel compelled to ruin a otherwise good car with the competitions engine? I hear the same thing everywhere I go, "its easier to put a Chevy motor in than a Ford, or its cheaper to build a Chevy. Bullcrap, to both statements. Last weekend was a real blow, while at a show I saw a 57 Thunderbird restomod, it was beautiful. When I got close enough to see the motor, well you guessed it, a LS1 fuel injected rat was under the hood. The owner even had the nerve to have Thunderbird Special stickers on the valve covers. After seeing this I just walked away. I guess to each his own, and if I ever won the lottery I think I would buy an old Corvette {probably a rare model like a 63 coupe] and install a 351w and paint it bright Ford blue, I bet I couldnt even get out of a show alive. Do Mopar people have this problem?
What do you think, lets hear it.
Mikey

G

·
0 Posts
that pisses me off most. DO NOT disrespect my favorite company with chevy parts. DO YOU LIKE URINE IN YOUR SOUP?

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
It makes me sick too. I think putting a 351W in a 63 vette is a good idea...... besides.... Ford is the best because the distributor is in the front where you can reach it! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
The one that got me was many years ago. There was this sharp 71 Mach 1 running around town. I had seen many times but never new what was under the hood. One day while at a local hang out he pulls in. When he popped the hood it was a big block Chevy. Said he liked Fords but they could not beat the Chevys. The great part about it I would up racing him about 3 weeks later. It was best 2 out of 3. I got him on the first run but it was damn close. Second time we were side by side in second gear when his big block went to the great bone yard in the sky. I had a great day. Never did see the car again so I don't know what happened to it.

69 Mach 1 427 Windsor

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I don't like seeing that type of cross-pollenation in any form. Saw a beautful '40's Ford vert with a 392 Hemi in it. Then a couple of minutes later, a guy rolls in with a TR-3 with a SBF in it. The headers were scary, hand-made things.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Put a Ford in your Ford. I don't like the looks of SBC, the exhaust channels don't look good as they are not evenly cast.

But then Shelby put a SBF in AC. Range Rovers have Buick 215 V8. there are Lincoln Mk VIIs with BMW turbo diesel. A mongrel is a mongrel and the world is full of them. Sometimes there is a reason behind them. If you look parts prices, SBC prices are usually lower than SBF. Or like our V8 Magazine had cover article about 69Mach1 with 383. The guy had had a '55 with 383 and wanted newer car like Mustang. He bought a rolling 69 to work on and then the '55 was wrecked in an accident. So, he had a working driveline without chassis and a chassis without driveline. What would you have done?

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
at the last mustang and all ford powered meet here in wichita i saw a 70's vette with a big block ford in it.

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Dont go contaminating a Ford with Chevy parts. Keep a Ford all Ford. End of story.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
The one I disliked the most was the SBC in a Cobra kit car. Looked like dog do. Saw it at the Portland Swap Meet a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
807 Posts
'Built Ford tough, with Chevy stuff'...
Saw that on the back of a late 50's F100

I can't say I like it...but at least I have yet to see that B18C Honda Integra motor in any Mustang.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I'll take a ricer before accepting a SBC/BBC in a Ford, especially a Mustang. Years ago, one could make the standard argument that brand-X engines were somewhat cheaper to build, but I don't think that has been true for years now. To achieve the same level of performance, the costs are roughly equal in today's market thanks to the Ford motor sports program and the 80s/90s 5.0 aftermarket products. I had a Flowmaster official tell me that the Mustang made their business.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I was 20 before someone told me that "40" Fords didn't come with small block Chevys.

Don't be a "brand snob", we all have different tastes and preferences...At least they use Ford bodies!

·
Registered
258 Posts
The way I see it, people use Chevy engines because they lack the imagination or intelligence to remember more that two words. Rat and Mouse. Or Big and Small. Fords are just waaaay too complex you know. Plus, you can buy Chevy engine parts at your local 7-11 it seems. I just look at the car, shake my head, and walk off in disgust. If the owner is watching it really annoys them.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I detest that, too. A '32 Ford should have a Ford V8, not a GM 350. But until the recent past, there weren't many Ford performance parts to be had, and the one's that did exist, whether made by Ford or the aftermarket, were expensive. That's still the case for many parts; check a Jeg's catalog for the number of parts available for Chevys only. Now there are plenty of parts out there for Fords, but I guess for some people old habits die hard.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
There is some justice out there - I have a friend with a Maverick, inherited from someone we both know. The P.O. had installed a 327 (ugh) Chevy. Nicely prepared car - he had planned to race it. But when it came time to build the motor, it was all cam and carb, no heads. Nice and loud, very rough idle. I've seen pro stocks that ran smoother.. And yup - you guessed it - mid-14's at the track. Bummer, but so appropriate !! Heck, a 302 with decent heads and a mild cam would knock a second and a half off that time..

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well folks, it really looks like I touched a nerve on this one. Its nice to know Im not alone on this. A funny thing happened today while I was visiting my father {a chevy man} at his carb shop. I mentioned this post to him and he replied, yep you guessed it, that is was easier to put a chevy into an old Ford body, and it was also cheaper to build a chevy motor. Is it any wonder I grew up all confused. At least grandpa was a Ford man and bought my first car which was a 70 Mercury Comet Gt into which I later stuffed a boss 302.
Also, I do what someone earlier mentioned, when I see a really cool looking Ford at a show and get close enough to see the motor, if its a chevy I just walk away. It really seems to disturb the owners of these abominations when I do this {most of the time}. Thanks for all of your opinions.............mikey

1 - 18 of 18 Posts