Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, i posted last week that my front garden was getting some work
done to it, so my Mustang was brought away for a while until it was all finished.

I arrived home today confronted with a very interesting story.

My mother was walking up to our house, and noticed a woman and a small boy,
about 4 or 5 standing looking into the front garden. The little boy was crying.
My mother overheard the boy crying say to his mother "where's the Mustang?"

Now my mother observed the situation without giving anything away.

The mother said to the child "maybe its at another house" to which the sobbing
child replied "NO, IT WAS HERE!"

So my mother went over to the woman, and said that yes, indeed this IS the house
with the Mustang, and the woman explained she knew and was trying to console her child!

Apparently, every time the woman with the child passes my house
the child gets very excited and says "theres the Mustang!!"

Knowing that most of the time (when im not home) the car is covered, the child
asks the mother if she will take off the cover to look at it! Of course she doesnt, but
its amazing that the child can recognise the car, considering its covered basically all but an hour
a week.

The child then became very excited when my mother said the car would be back tommorrow.

But, this isnt the first scenario ive known of where my car has been an object of facination for
children. A neighbour of mine had her daughter and small child return for a few weeks to stay.

The child in this case was about 2 1/2 - 3 years old (still in a buggy). She told me that every time
they got near my house, the child insisted they had to stop for about 5 minutes so the kid
could look at the Mustang!

I'm amazed quite honestly that such small children can pick apart my Mustang as being 'different'
from the rest, and how fascinated they are by it, to the point where one started to cry when he saw it
was gone!

Wow, maybe they know something i dont? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Gary

·
Registered
326 Posts
Gary,

I have the same problem with my '65 coupe, only it is teenage/young adult girls. Talk about a problem ! ! (no . . . no . . . get away . . .) SWMBO was so attracted to my car that I married her. I am sure she would SWMBO would frown on any additional females looking longingly at itwithout her being present.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I have the same problem with my '65 coupe, only it is teenage/young adult girls

<hr></blockquote>

Wanna swap cars? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Gary

G

·
0 Posts
Cool story! I think I have the same problem, but it seems to be with guys nearing/in their mid-life crisis. You know, the ones that say, "I used to have an old mustang myself..." Bleh!

--Lightnin

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Make him really happy, take him (and probably his mom) for a quick ride. Life is short, take all the chances you can to make others happy. Eventually good deeds usually return, often in very interesting ways.

:)

John Harvey

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

, take him (and probably his mom) for a quick ride. Life is short,

<hr></blockquote>

Out of the question, he's too young to die /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Thats the, rather ironic, other side of the coin. Children RUN when i fire it up. In the words of one neighbourhood kid:

"Oh no - here comes that noise again!"

Gary

G

·
0 Posts
Actually, this is one of the reasons why driving an old Mustang is so fun! It may certainly not be the most important reason (there are so many other reasons to love these cars), but I get a warm feeling every time I drive by a group of children who stare, jump up and down in excitement and wave to me. Just makes the experience a even better!

I too am amazed that even very small children take an interest in "classic" cars, and are able to differentiate between those and newer cars. But I do know for sure that I was the same when I was little.

As for MOST of the young girls here in Sweden, a late model BMW, Porsche or other "sporty" car is a better magnet, but then again, I don´t go for quantity, I go for quality! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Anders Olsson

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
cool story Gary. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
330 Posts
In this world of cookie cutter cars and mini-vans it is probably a great mind stimulant for such a young mind. I also notice that when ever I get out one of my rides that the little girl across the street loves to hang out and look at the cars. It gives me hope that the next generation of drivers will maybe gravitate to the classics after tiring of all the rice rockets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts