Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recent rebuilt my Autolite 4100 1.08 carburetor completely. All the way down to nuts and bolts, even disassembled the throttle shaft (bad idea). Well everything is now assembled but I am having issues finding thorough instructions for setting the choke linkage just right. Quite honestly I'm not sure of the leeway some of these rods are supposed to have or where to even set the fast idle cam. Especially since I have an electric choke now, it makes setting everything perfectly a little confusing because of some tightness. Should I leave the cap off when doing it.??? I'm just not sure how to start getting everything corrected.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
37,688 Posts
I recent rebuilt my Autolite 4100 1.08 carburetor completely. All the way down to nuts and bolts, even disassembled the throttle shaft (bad idea). Well everything is now assembled but I am having issues finding thorough instructions for setting the choke linkage just right. Quite honestly I'm not sure of the leeway some of these rods are supposed to have or where to even set the fast idle cam. Especially since I have an electric choke now, it makes setting everything perfectly a little confusing because of some tightness. Should I leave the cap off when doing it.??? I'm just not sure how to start getting everything corrected.

Any help would be appreciated!
Cold engine, "cold" choke (no power to choke cap recently). Block throttle open at least 1/2 way. Loose 3 choke cap screws. If choke plate is fully closed, turn choke cap away from "richen" direction until choke plate opens, then proceed to next step. If choke plate is open, turn choke cap in the "richen" direction until the choke plate JUST closes AND NO MORE. Tighten 3 choke cap screws.

Start engine. Choke plate should immediately snap open around 1/8 inch or so and engine should run at fast idle. Each year/carb has it's own fast idle spec... most around around 1,650 rpm or so. Adjust as needed.

If the choke plate does NOT immediately snap open when the engine starts, investigate the vacuum supply to the choke unloader piston inside the choke housing; it's possible that the passage from the carburetor body to the choke is plugged or covered by a gasket, or the unloader piston is sticking.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Factory Shop Manual explains this in detail with measurements. It is a must-have reference for your ride.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts