Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long should it take for the choke to open up on an edelbrock? It didn't seem to move much at all when I was letting it sit running for just a bit.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I'll wager a guess of under ten minutes, all my modern cars have warmed up in about seven minutes and the carb'ed cars weren't a whole lot slower. This is while driving ~50mph, it will of course warm up slower at idle.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm... something isn't right... back to the car!

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Does the choke need to be on for that long though? Mine has a manual choke and I use the choke for a whopping 30 seconds or so and seems to work for me. I'm curious because I'm switching out the eddy manual choke carb to a holley street avenger electric choke. I'll be crossing this bridge soon as well.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Red takes about 45-60 seconds to warm up. Did you try to kick it down by pressing on the gas pedal during high rev warm up? I normally let it high idle for the above 45-60 seconds, then just kick it down. Ready to rumble.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Ambient temperature will have a fairly significant impact. The real question is how long does it stay on versus how long it needs to stay on. The purpose is to allow the car to run smooth until it warms up. The car will still run fairly smooth with the choke on after it's warm, but you're burning excess fuel. Your choke can come off in 1 or 2 minutes if your engine will run smooth. You almost have to play with it. My 67 has an automatic choke that has always worked well. The 68 has a manual choke. I really prefer the automatic because you just don't have to remember to pull the choke to get the car to start. Ask me how many times I've forgotten and just cranked and cranked.
Dave

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha, thanks, guys. I did turn the choke cap to kind of lean it out and tighten up the spring. It kicked out after I revved it a few times. I'm still trying to warm it up and dial in the timing.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL. I could see that. ;)

I did get the car running pretty well. The choke does open up as it should and it is running strong. I'm still getting a little bit of the popping of the exhaust after the choke opens fully, though. It's not as bad before. I'm guessing a little more gas might not hurt it. I'll keep you all updated.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
The shorter time it takes for your choke to turn off the better, because it puts excess gas in the cylinders and washes the oil off of them.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Keep in mind that the choke's bi-metal spring is not strong enough to pull the choke butterfly open while the fast idle screw is resting on the choke linkage cam. That's why you have to "kick it out" ... it momentarily releases the tension on the fast idle screw caused by the throttle return spring.

In other words, if you don't touch the throttle after the choke has been set, you can let it idle for a year and the choke will not open.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts