Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a choke tube set from National Parts Depot (9819-1A) to replace one of the missing choke tubes on my 66 289 and nothing seems to fit right.

The tube openings themselves are to wide to fit in either of the intake manifold holes. They simply wont slide in without modification and I don't want to break off an end forcing it. Also the white heat insulator cover wont slide over the flares no matter how hard I try even after stretching with needle nose pliers.

I double checked and the existing tube I have and it fits just fine in the manifold and the old insulation seems much wider.

There are no instructions for installing these. 9819-1A says its fits 1965-68 mustang but the label on the package says 67-68. Did I order the wrong thing or is this a manufacturer fitment issue? Hopefully Rick can help on this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
I have found that in many cases part of the old tube remains in the manifold and has to be drilled out. I also wouldn’t be surprised if the repro tubing was a metric size and just slightly larger than the original Ford tubing. I have never had an issue with the insulation. You put it on before the flares, not after.

Reactions: Capt Kent

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have found that in many cases part of the old tube remains in the manifold and has to be drilled out. I also wouldn’t be surprised if the repro tubing was a metric size and just slightly larger than the original Ford tubing. I have never had an issue with the insulation. You put it on before the flares, not after.
There is definitely nothing in the holes that need to drilled out. As stated the old tube fits fine, the new one does not.

I'm confused by your comment about the flares. If you look at the picture there is no way to put it on before or after as there are flares on both ends. And no I'm not talking about the brass fitting on the carb side.

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
@AZ_Ryan I had trouble getting a new stainless one to fit and had to borrow a right angle drill to clean up a hole to get it to go in.

Reactions: Capt Kent

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@AZ_Ryan I had trouble getting a new stainless one to fit and had to borrow a right angle drill to clean up a hole to get it to go in.
That's interesting thanks. The one original tube I still have fits perfectly. My manifold holes look clean. I called NPD and they seemed baffled if not doubtful that it wasn't fitting. They said they have never had an issues with those and insinuated I bought the wrong one. But I have a stock 289 with stock manifolds. I asked if there was another one I could try and they said no just return it. Soo I guess i'm sol.

Anyone know if there is there another place that sells these?

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
The things aren't very expensive, so you can try another trick I did on a similar application, split the side of the tube about 3/4 of an inch on one side, or both, and just press it down in there and it will kind of collapse to fit tightly. If it doesn't work for ya, just git another'un.

·
Registered
38,765 Posts
Measure the ends of the tubes. They should be 1/4". You can use a 1/4" drill bit, by hand, to ream the openings in the exhaust manifold. If the tube ends are LARGER than 1/4" you could try using some sandpaper to round the tip a bit, or modify an old pair of lineman's pliers or straight-jaw Vise-Grips as "crimpers" by clamping the jaws in a vise and drilling a 1/4" hole centered along the parting line.

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All good ideas. I'll try to finagle them it tonight. I just thought originally I had the wrong tubes or something and could try something else. But looks like Classic Tube is the only manufacturer, so for $20 bucks ill make it work and just be the weird example of fitment issues lol.

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Got both new tubes installed. Used my dremel to gently sand down the tube ends and they went in the manifold holes after a bit. Thanks Woodchuck for the suggestion. (y) Also turns out I had the tubes reversed and backwards which explains why I couldn't get the insulator sleeve on the coke tube. Me not so smart on that one. Although instructions would have helped.

EDIT: speaking of instructions - does any one know what the circled clip is for and where it goes?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
Got both new tubes installed. Used my dremel to gently sand down the tube ends and they went in the manifold holes after a bit. Thanks Woodchuck for the suggestion. (y) Also turns out I had the tubes reversed and backwards which explains why I couldn't get the insulator sleeve on the coke tube. Me not so smart on that one. Although instructions would have helped.

EDIT: speaking of instructions - does any one know what the circled clip is for and where it goes?
Glad you got it to work. The clip hold the two tubes together. I have never seen an official placement, but most people put the clip about half way up the tubes.

Reactions: AZ_Ryan
1 - 10 of 10 Posts