Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get your opinions on what would be the best monte carlo bar to install? I current have a cheap knock off one but was considering either going to the Scott Drake version, Global West Adjustable, or the Mike Maier all in One that emcompasses the shock tower and monte carlo bar? Or Do you have any others that you recommend?

Scott Drake

Global West

Mike Maier

I planning to run this on a 1969 Mustang

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Make your own like this. Local exhaust shop I use put the 2 bends in it for $-0-. I trimmed the ends evenly until it fit then welded it up. Car already had the export brace on first. On a '67.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,615 Posts
Lord help us don't get us started on the damn Monte Carlo bars again....

·
Premium Member
10,868 Posts
I bought a bolt on fixed from NPD in the mid 90's. I checked it against a real 65 Shelby bar it was perfect. an adjustable bar with spherical bearings is not rigid. You need a bar thats rigid. smae goes for the export type brace with spherical bearings. Get solid export brace. I went one much better and built this welding on boomarang-uh-ting-tang-oooo-eeee-ah-ah. My front end is really stiff. The front of the mustang that is.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4sp Nightmist Blue
367 Posts
Make your own like this. Local exhaust shop I use put the 2 bends in it for $-0-. I trimmed the ends evenly until it fit then welded it up. Car already had the export brace on first. On a '67.
View attachment 762746
You welded it in place? How do you remove the engine now?

Chris

Reactions: 1966Stangman

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Keep the cheap knockoff.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
The SD Straight bar is a stout piece for 30 bucks. Pulled the front wheels off the ground for a second or two when I need to put a bend in it to clear my new distriburor.
]

Reactions: rusty1161

·
Registered
743 Posts
I wanted to get your opinions on what would be the best monte carlo bar to install? I current have a cheap knock off one but was considering either going to the Scott Drake version, Global West Adjustable, or the Mike Maier all in One that emcompasses the shock tower and monte carlo bar? Or Do you have any others that you recommend?

I planning to run this on a 1969 Mustang
What do you hope to gain by changing it? If what you have fits and isn't made of pasta, I can't imagine you'll experiance a difference.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I bought a bolt on fixed from NPD in the mid 90's. I checked it against a real 65 Shelby bar it was perfect. an adjustable bar with spherical bearings is not rigid. You need a bar thats rigid. smae goes for the export type brace with spherical bearings. Get solid export brace. I went one much better and built this welding on boomarang-uh-ting-tang-oooo-eeee-ah-ah. My front end is really stiff. The front of the mustang that is.

View attachment 762747
Just curious , but how is a bar with spherical bearings not rigid? I get it can rotate a little, but it's not going to stretch or shrink. What forces are you really trying to limit with a Monte Carlo bar?

And since we are kicking this topic around a little, what is the correct length for a '65? Or better yet, who makes one in the correct length?
Rusty

·
Premium Member
10,868 Posts
Just curious , but how is a bar with spherical bearings not rigid? I get it can rotate a little, but it's not going to stretch or shrink. What forces are you really trying to limit with a Monte Carlo bar?

And since we are kicking this topic around a little, what is the correct length for a '65? Or better yet, who makes one in the correct length?
Rusty
you dont want it to rotate. it can also move a tad because its not rigid. the whole idea is to have a rigid bar. you dont want any rotation or flex

·
Registered
592 Posts
you dont want it to rotate. it can also move a tad because its not rigid. the whole idea is to have a rigid bar. you dont want any rotation or flex
Still lost on the rotation. As long as it is not changing length, its still triangulating the towers to the firewall, with the help of the Export brace. How does rotating hinder this?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Don’t forget Street or Track make a couple different ones.
Just rec'd my SorT straight MC bar 1 week ago. It is a Scott Drake branded part. Haven't installed it yet.

Hoping with my new engine sitting on Ron Morris lowered motor mounts AND a new MSD (lower height) distributor that the MC bar will now clear the distributor with room to spare. My prior 289 engine with stock '66 motor mounts and a taller billet Pertronix Flamethrower distributor could not clear a straight MC bar so the PO installed the curved MC bar.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Still lost on the rotation. As long as it is not changing length, its still triangulating the towers to the firewall, with the help of the Export brace. How does rotating hinder this?
How many SFC’s do you see with end joints? Roll cages? If you want to get rid of flex, make the connections solid. If you want them to move freely, use end joints.

Mark

·
Registered
179 Posts
You can make a perfectly rigid triangle with three tubes and spherical joints on all three corners. An export brace and any Monte Carlo bar looks like it makes a pretty good triangle. Heck, even the inner fender, half the firewall and an export brace make another pretty good triangle that isn't going anywhere if it didn't have slotted bolt holes (slotted bolt holes in a brace are a little problem).

·
Registered
592 Posts
How many SFC’s do you see with end joints? Roll cages? If you want to get rid of flex, make the connections solid. If you want them to move freely, use end joints.

Mark
I get that, but is the MC bar resisting twist, or resisting the urge for the shock towers to flex. The MC bar and Export aids in keeping the towers stable, vertically. What twisting forces are being sent through the MC Bar? Sub frames are just long torsion springs with really short arms on them, unless welded to the torque boxes. Again what twisting are we trying to stop with a MC bar?

You can make a perfectly rigid triangle with three tubes and spherical joints on all three corners. An export brace and any Monte Carlo bar looks like it makes a pretty good triangle. Heck, even the inner fender, half the firewall and an export brace make another pretty good triangle that isn't going anywhere if it didn't have slotted bolt holes (slotted bolt holes in a brace are a little problem).
That is my point, and question. What, if any, twisting forces are we trying to limit with a MC bar?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts