Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
8,048 Posts
Long ago I had my car on a frame machine. I was amazed how flexible the car was. It moves in every way you can imagine. Even WITH all the extra welds, cage, bars, etc...it still flexes enough to knock everything out of alignment. Loads of engine torque and tire grip do strange things to metal.

Mark

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Even a solid block of steel a similar size to your car will flex under the right conditions. It would probably flex at terminal velocity if dropped into the ocean.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Thanks for that insight.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. ;)

Sometimes I get bored and watch those ultra slow motion videos on youtube. It's crazy how a seemingly solid object flexes with enough force. Not just how much they flex, but the way they flex, and then it's even more strange when they spring back to normal shape. You get an appreciation for how springy many things are, even glass. I figure with the right amount of force, no matter what it is, it's going to either bend or break. Even planets and stars with enough time and force will change shape.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
You can make a perfectly rigid triangle with three tubes and spherical joints on all three corners. An export brace and any Monte Carlo bar looks like it makes a pretty good triangle. Heck, even the inner fender, half the firewall and an export brace make another pretty good triangle that isn't going anywhere if it didn't have slotted bolt holes (slotted bolt holes in a brace are a little problem).
First, why on earth would anyone fabricate a rigid triangle with heim joints??? Its a total waste of money to add the Heims unless your car is so out of whack that you need the adjustment to make it fit. The triangle may be rigid but only in plane. When the forces experienced by a hard working vehicle are out of plane, the heim joints allow for movement you just do not want. That extra reinforcement at the joints is significant and lost with a Heim.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
First, why on earth would anyone fabricate a rigid triangle with heim joints??? Its a total waste of money to add the Heims unless your car is so out of whack that you need the adjustment to make it fit. The triangle may be rigid but only in plane. When the forces experienced by a hard working vehicle are out of plane, the heim joints allow for movement you just do not want. That extra reinforcement at the joints is significant and lost with a Heim.
Because racecar!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Should I use a straight or curved monte carlo bar with or without heim joints to try to cover a vin stamping lol.:eek:

·
Registered
756 Posts
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. ;)

Sometimes I get bored and watch those ultra slow motion videos on youtube. It's crazy how a seemingly solid object flexes with enough force. Not just how much they flex, but the way they flex, and then it's even more strange when they spring back to normal shape. You get an appreciation for how springy many things are, even glass. I figure with the right amount of force, no matter what it is, it's going to either bend or break. Even planets and stars with enough time and force will change shape.
Good 'ol youtube. Someday I'll login and subscribe to stuff again so I don't have to deal with their suggestions. Right now they are convienced all I like is Watch Making, Gun Smithing and Parrots. Not sure where the birds came from but I've decided I don't want one.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts

Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
70-72 Monte was a luxury cruiser, the 454SS was a bad street machine as was the 455 Grand Prix, although I prefer the Monte.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Just curious , but how is a bar with spherical bearings not rigid? I get it can rotate a little, but it's not going to stretch or shrink. What forces are you really trying to limit with a Monte Carlo bar?

And since we are kicking this topic around a little, what is the correct length for a '65? Or better yet, who makes one in the correct length?
Rusty
Because any pivoting joint like a spherical bearing or rod end has some linear and axial play, or it wouldn't move. It may be a tiny amount, but that may be enough over the length of the chassis to make a difference. In suspensions they also loosen over time, though that probably wouldn't happen with a static chassis brace ?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts