Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to install aftermarket, retractable 3-point seat belts in my 1970 Mach 1. Just the front seats.

I'm looking at two options; one Retro Belt from NPD and one from Morris. Does anyone have experience with these seat belt kits or others? I would appreciate advice and suggestions. Although different, they both appear to be good kits.

Morris: Mustang Front 3-Point Seat Belts

Retro Belt from NPD: SEAT BELT CONVERSION, 3 POINT - #61172-23A - National Parts Depot

Of course, here in Post-Pandemicland, availability would be a factor. Looks like the NPD belts are actually in stock. Not sure about the Morris belts. I suppose I would have to call them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
A friend with his 70 Mach 1 said he removed the third belt as it started to sag after a while. Was this a common problem or just a problem with a particular manufacturers belt?

I also will want more than just the lap belt, but not sure what the best option will be. I plan to install a typical Shelby style roll bar, so I may consider 4-point belts.

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A friend with his 70 Mach 1 said he removed the third belt as it started to sag after a while. Was this a common problem or just a problem with a particular manufacturers belt?

I also will want more than just the lap belt, but not sure what the best option will be. I plan to install a typical Shelby style roll bar, so I may consider 4-point belts.
Yeah, the little elastic straps which hold the lap belts up to the roof stretch out and make the belt sag. Since the lap belts are mostly useless, a lot of people simply remove them. Mine are currently tucked in on either side of the back seat.

·
Registered
10,481 Posts
I used a set of belts from Seatbelt Solutions, their 310MB

I did disassemble them and reconfigure the belt path, ditched the boot for the roof sash and the inner latch. I also reused the factory retractor boot, as the supplied plastic cover wouldn't allow the belt to retract fully.

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used a set of belts from Seatbelt Solutions, their 310MB

I did disassemble them and reconfigure the belt path, ditched the boot for the roof sash and the inner latch. I also reused the factory retractor boot, as the supplied plastic cover wouldn't allow the belt to retract fully.
I had not seen that option. Thank you.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
I used seat belts plus.com. They were able to match my factory color with no up charge, and 2 day delivery.
installation is straight forward but confusing if you try and read the instructions

they were Johnny on the spot when I called with questions. got some one within 2 minutes

they offer a longer stationary belt that bolts to the hump. you may need that. on my M1 the standard belt that comes in the kit sinks in to far between the seat and the belt rides a tad higher over my shoulders than im used to

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used seat belts plus.com. They were able to match my factory color with no up charge, and 2 day delivery.
installation is straight forward but confusing if you try and read the instructions

they were Johnny on the spot when I called with questions. got some one within 2 minutes

they offer a longer stationary belt that bolts to the hump. you may need that. on my M1 the standard belt that comes in the kit sinks in to far between the seat and the belt rides a tad higher over my shoulders than im used to
Good information. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I plan to install a typical Shelby style roll bar, so I may consider 4-point belts.
Are you planning on using the Shelby retractors that are mounted on the roll bar for the harness? This has proven to less than optimal. The mounting point is too high for the harness, and in an accident, that can cause the driver to slide out underneath the belts. A better solution is a bar behind the seat at shoulder height, or slightly lower to fasten the harness to.

Reactions: InOverMyHead

·
Registered
459 Posts
Are you planning on using the Shelby retractors that are mounted on the roll bar for the harness? This has proven to less than optimal. The mounting point is too high for the harness, and in an accident, that can cause the driver to slide out underneath the belts. A better solution is a bar behind the seat at shoulder height, or slightly lower to fasten the harness to.
I'd also be concerned that (since it isn't structural or triangulated off some other structure) you could get in a wreck that would move the bar and essentially unbelt you. I assume this is part of why most of the people selling them claim their just for cosmetic purposes.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions on the roll bar and seat belts. I figured I would make some enhancements to improve the strength of the roll bar. If anyone has suggestions as to what they have done, I would like to see their solutions.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions on the roll bar and seat belts. I figured I would make some enhancements to improve the strength of the roll bar. If anyone has suggestions as to what they have done, I would like to see their solutions.
I don't think that any of the roll bars designed like the Shelby bar are SCCA or NHRA legal, it all has to do with the material the roll bar is made from, usually the tubing is too thin. They will offer some protection, just not as much as most of the sanctioning bodies think is appropriate.
This is the MTF bar: 1969-1970 Roll Bar & Covers | Mustangs to Fear
There is also one on ebay for about half of what MTF wants.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
The MTF roll bar looks good, but at $450 plus $99 for the cover, ouch!
I have plenty of folks local who could bend tubing if I had a design. I wish they made a roll bar design kit like they do for making custom headers. I know MTF engineered the roll bar and everything, but another case of sticker shock.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I installed the Morris seatbelts a couple of years ago in my '70 Mach 1. Don't recall but I had some sort of issue with the belt direction mounting to the bottom. Pics attached of the belts.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts