Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Called Allen at 8and9inchfordrears 2 days ago. My 3.55 with Trac Loc arrived today. Can't say enough about him and his service.

Any hints on swapping out my old 2.80 open diff? I heard to get read for the smell.

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,484 Posts
ophthos good choice, I also dealt with 8and9inchfordrears. He is in south western NJ & he let me bring my rear & axles to him & he did the work while I waited. I also got the 3.55 trac loc.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I'll have to check them out, the diff looks nice.

Not really any tricks to pulling it. Just be careful when pulling the old rear off. It's really heavy and usually you're in an awkward position when doing it.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spent the weekend sanding and painting my drive shaft. Just put it in and mocked it up against the old diff. It fit but absolutely no room to spare. I assume the new one will be the same, so it looks like after I get the new diff in, I'll probably be sending the drive shaft out to be cut. Other option would be a new one, but since the old one seems fine, it should be cheaper to cut this one instead of buying a new one.

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Spent the weekend sanding and painting my drive shaft. Just put it in and mocked it up against the old diff. It fit but absolutely no room to spare. I assume the new one will be the same, so it looks like after I get the new diff in, I'll probably be sending the drive shaft out to be cut. Other option would be a new one, but since the old one seems fine, it should be cheaper to cut this one instead of buying a new one.
I used TJ before he passed But Allen has promised the same great service
have you considered an aluminum drive shaft ? Say from an Explorer 2wd 4door direct fit in most cases or a Crown Vic will likely need to be shortened but possibly easier to find

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
have you considered an aluminum drive shaft ? Say from an Explorer 2wd 4door direct fit in most cases or a Crown Vic will likely need to be shortened but possibly easier to find
I did a T5 swap. Still direct fit? Haven't thought of that. Acutally I don't know enought about all this to know what else I can do. I have a few junk yards around here. What years should I look for?

Should I get the yoke or use my current one?

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
I did a T5 swap. Still direct fit? Haven't thought of that. Acutally I don't know enought about all this to know what else I can do. I have a few junk yards around here. What years should I look for?

Should I get the yoke or use my current one?
I have a T-5 as well from a 93 using the old toploader bell with a CPC adapter plate. Mine fit with out issue. What yoke do you have ? Explorers from 91-01 I believe, has to be a 2 wheel drive 4 door.
the Explorer yoke is of no use

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@2nd 66 I have the original yoke that came with my C4. Fits fine in the T5

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
@2nd 66 I have the original yoke that came with my C4. Fits fine in the T5
the T5 conversion kit I got from CPC came with a yoke and before I got the Explorer shaft I reused my original drive shaft and yoke always thinking it was a shame I had to get yoke with the kit ,extra money /parts I didn't need. However That new yoke was shorter than the old one So I had it shortened Then I learned about the Explorer shaft swap. The old yoke I had was the inner clip style and wouldn't work with the Explorer shaft so I dug out that yoke that came with the kit.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine also has the inner clips. I have a drive shaft shop within 1/2hr form me. I may call and see how much it will be to shorten the shaft. Might be cheaper.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
By the way, what color should the diff be? Is the red color on it a primer or is that the color it should be?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I also went with the cast iron look. Currie delivered it that way and I saw no need to change it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts