Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I'm getting ready to send everything off to the chromer. I'd like to get it right all in one shipment, so I was wondering if you guys could help me out. If you know that a piece is not available new/repro from anywhere, then please tell me what it is and I will find it and send it with. I can tell you that nothing that was chrome from my car can be used, so I need to chrome everything that isn't available new. I have a 67 Coupe and this thing had no options(plain-jane Coupe).

So far, the only things I can think of are the 1/4 windows in the back. Can anyone think of anything else?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Off the top of my head the only other thing I can think of is the pass. and driver's side window moldings (the ones encircling the glass) - for a plain jane coupe everything else is pretty much being reproduced.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good call. But how do I get those off the old windows? And then, how do I get them back on?

·
Premium Member
7,081 Posts
At the back of the glass is a screw. Remove it. The lower channel can be tapped off, leaving just the glass and the chrome strip. It can now be tapped off. There is glazier's tape that beds the glass to the frame, just buy some new tap, and after chroming, tap it all back together.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you talking about the door glass? Cause that's what we're talking about, the chrome strip that is on the top of the door glass. That's what I don't know how to get off.

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Are you talking about the door glass? Cause that's what we're talking about, the chrome strip that is on the top of the door glass. That's what I don't know how to get off.
Be careful here...most of the shiney stuff surrounding the glass is actually stainless steel, not chrome. The vent window frame is chrome, however.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's a place about 2 hours from me called The Chrome Shop. I can give you their information if you want. I'm sure they'd send you their little pamphlet, it's got rough prices for a lot of items.

Also, Midlife, the vent windows I can get new, it's the 1/4 windows(the rear seats windows) that I'm getting chromed. And shouldn't they be able to chrome it even if it is stainless steel?

Also, does anyone know how to get those chrome pieces off of the door glass?

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
I suppose you could chrome stainless, but you can get the same look for a lot less money simply by buffing the stainless, and it will keep the shine for a lot longer time than chrome can, due to corrosion of chrome finishes. You can do what you want, it's your car!

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I can't buff out pits :p

So can anyone think of any other parts?

·
Registered
80 Posts
There's a place about 2 hours from me called The Chrome Shop. I can give you their information if you want. I'm sure they'd send you their little pamphlet, it's got rough prices for a lot of items.

Also, Midlife, the vent windows I can get new, it's the 1/4 windows(the rear seats windows) that I'm getting chromed. And shouldn't they be able to chrome it even if it is stainless steel?

Also, does anyone know how to get those chrome pieces off of the door glass?
Please send me the info. [email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts