Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 66 styled wheels on my 64.5 and I would like to have them refinished. They are constructed using rivets to hold the inner and outer sections together so I'm not keen on having them taken apart to chrome just the center portion as per original. So, three questions:

1. are the 64.5 and 66 the same wheel other than the outer option being painted on 66 (with a trim ring) and chromed on 64.5?
2. could the whole wheel be cleaned and re-chromed without separating the inner and outer parts?
3. are there vinyl masking sheets available for masking the areas to be painted in the recesses?

Thanks.

Glenn

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Would suggest that you pose your question to the website below...since you'll get a better answer from people that have actually done what you are suggesting.

ConcoursMustang Forums - Index

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I found 5 original 66 Styled Steel wheels and refinished the paint. The chrome isn't perfect but were still very good after 53 years, and I thought about having just the chrome part re-dipped and polished. Then I found out that was going to cost me a lot unless I set up a home plating rig. Maybe later...The individual painted sections don't technically have a hard edge but are a pain to mask off, so go just a hair wide. After they're dry, you can use a little 0000 steel wool to soften the edges. Some new center caps and correct lug nuts from NPD will have you in business.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I couldn't get pics to load earlier.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those turned out pretty well.The masking must have taken you a few late nights but it worked out fine. Thanks for the info and pictures.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info everyone. It doesn't sound like chroming the whole wheel is going to work so I guess I'll polish my chrome, repaint the centres and keep the trim rings on like a number of you have done. I'm still looking for the proper color for the paint for a July 64 build (I think maybe the ss wheels weren't available at the build date so I'll go with the earliest color available). If anyone can help, let me know. I've read a number of different opinions but I'm not clear yet. Does anyone sell the paint in the proper color in a spray can?

I noticed the attached repainted wheel on line with the areas around the holes painted black and thought I read somewhere else that this was a factory detail but having never seen it elsewhere I doubt it is. Anybody able to confirm one way or ther other?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The early wheels were an all-chrome wheel. Of course, you could go to the Ford dealer with an early car and have the wheels as an accessory. So the charcoal would be correct for that wheel. Mine were all original and charcoal at the lug seat, just chipped so I roughed them, did a little primer and then sprayed with the correct charcoal color. I read somewhere the earliest cars may have had a slightly different color, like the argent grille color, but the charcoal was right for 66 for sure. All the 65-66 cars got red center caps but black and blue are available too if you wanted a custom look. I put stainless valve stem covers and caps on mine to protect the stems and keep things shiny.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks myfirstcar66. I think I'll be doing my wheels in the lighter color (argent or ???) to be close to correct for my year but I like the darker color you used as it has more punch and highlights the chrome better.

Here's a photo of one of my wheels as they are at present. I got them in about 86 so they were 20 years old at the time. They are 66 wheels so the color is the darker grey.

Glenn

Attachments

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Very NICE ! !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found the link I'd seen previously on Concours Mustang Forum regarding the color of the inserts and from the discussion there (as well as the one here) it looks like Argent is the color to use for 64.5 wheels (even though mine are 66 wheels, I wan't the color to be proper for my year car). They also said that Morotcraft has a good color match in cans. That my game plan I guess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts