Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting in a rebuilt 289 and was wondering if the cast iron or aluminum water pump would be the better choice? Is there an advantage of one over the other?

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
IME, at least in performance applications, there has been no performance advantage which I could discern, pertaining to the stock aluminum and CI pumps. There is a minor weight advantage from using the alumimum pump but an early timing cover is necessary to clear the open impeller. The main changes I made for more performance (at high rpms) was slowing the water pump and alternator down, since, with more rear gear, the engine was spinning faster at any given road speed.

Can't comment on the aftermarket aluminum pumps as I've never used them. Until I went to a marine pump on the race car, I always used stock pumps (with motor drives) with good success. Other VMF'ers have used these units and a search of the archives should bring up their opinions, mostly positive IIRC..

My street vehicles have always used stock pumps with good service and performance.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I knew I could count on y'all for helping out! I happened to have already powdercoated a 65 cover, so I'll use it for the pump. (Actually, I PC'd everything that would fit into the oven!) Thanks for all the help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts