Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread is for anyone that may be considering upgrading the headlamps in the classic to something better than the lacking sealed beams. I meant to put this up a little while ago. I've been interested in doing this for a while now and after much research decided to go with Cibie H4 E Code assemblies.

These are Valeo part number 082440 The runner up is most likely the Hella E Code lamp. I also like that the Cibie has a convex lens that looks more like an original bulb, whereas the Hella lenses are flat. I did also notice that Hella makes a DOT lamp, but I like the nice beam pattern that the E Code produces and well as the fact that it emits less glare to oncoming traffic.

These pictures should give a decent idea of what the difference is. They did need to be aimed down just a bit in both pictures, but the aiming is the same for both. I did that after the switch. The camera was on a short tripod on the roof for the pictures. The GE Nighthawk are halogen sealed beams.

Having a relay setup along with the improved optics of quality assemblies and a pair of good non-blue bulbs from Phillips or GE etc are just about perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
+1 on the Cibies. Excellent lights with a great low beam of 500-700 feet, and, unlike Hella 7 inchers, hi beams that are still well aimed. On Hella's if you have the low beam aimed right (good distance but not as much spread as the Cibies), the high beam can be a bit higher than it should. They were great lights when my father first installed them in 1969 on my car, and they still are.
And the relay is an excellent idea. Also check for good clean rust free connections and grounds. And never touch the H4 bulb itself. The oils on your finger will cause it to die. If it's touched you have to wash it off with alcohol before installation.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I went with these:

7" LED Headlights - Model 8700 Evolution 2 Dual Burn

They are very expensive but awesome and give the car a great look. I also used the CJ Pony Parts harness to convert to relay and it was super easy to install it all. The lighting is greatly improved and it's a nice white light like modern HID lights, but with LED ease.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1 on the Cibies. Excellent lights with a great low beam of 500-700 feet, and, unlike Hella 7 inchers, hi beams that are still well aimed. On Hella's if you have the low beam aimed right (good distance but not as much spread as the Cibies), the high beam can be a bit higher than it should. They were great lights when my father first installed them in 1969 on my car, and they still are.
And the relay is an excellent idea. Also check for good clean rust free connections and grounds. And never touch the H4 bulb itself. The oils on your finger will cause it to die. If it's touched you have to wash it off with alcohol before installation.
I have read that more than once about the Hella high beam being a little too high. That is one of the reasons I chose the Cibies. They have a great low beam pattern. The highs are really bright and shine pretty far.

·
Premium Member
10,757 Posts
I had Cibie Z beams. It was hard to see highway signs when they were on dim. E codes are also illegal for highway use in the USA. In europe all signs are lighted and the headlights dont need light pointing up. Also the cutoff pattern was awful on hills on 2 labe highways with oncoming traffic. Hella makes a way better 7" that is legal , has a better light pattern. I have been using Hellavison H4 for many years.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Cibie H4 headlamps • 7 inch round
Regulatory compliance: ECE (European E-Code); SAE M

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

I used these Cibie H-4 lenses for Daniel Stern and they are both E code and DOT compliant meeting the SAE M standard. (SAE headlamp standards of US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108).

Personally, I think they have a very usable light pattern, without doubt the best I've experienced vs any vintage stock lighting.

Z

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I had Cibie Z beams. It was hard to see highway signs when they were on dim. E codes are also illegal for highway use in the USA. In europe all signs are lighted and the headlights dont need light pointing up. Also the cutoff pattern was awful on hills on 2 labe highways with oncoming traffic. Hella makes a way better 7" that is legal , has a better light pattern. I have been using Hellavison H4 for many years.
I'm not sure how these compare to Z Beams. I don't have trouble seeing overhead roadway signs. I know that the some E code lamps are not legal, but I believe that they are better than most DOT code lights that just scatter light and do not focus it.

These came highly recommended from reputable sources and should be compliant with FMVSS.

You may be correct. I do not know much about the DOT Hella lamps.

Any of these are better than the regular sealed beams and the poor lighting they emit.

The light output and beam quality from the Cibies is far better than any other car we've had. I also like that there isn't excessive glare to oncoming drivers.

·
Premium Member
10,757 Posts
I'm not sure how these compare to Z Beams. I don't have trouble seeing overhead roadway signs. I know that the some E code lamps are not legal, but I believe that they are better than most DOT code lights that just scatter light and do not focus it.

These came highly recommended from reputable sources and should be compliant with FMVSS.

You may be correct. I do not know much about the DOT Hella lamps.

Any of these are better than the regular sealed beams and the poor lighting they emit.

The light output and beam quality from the Cibies is far better than any other car we've had. I also like that there isn't excessive glare to oncoming drivers.
The scattered light from DOT lights allows you to see off to the sides of the road and thats helpful when driving on the highway at night and especially on 2 lane roads. In my travels over the last 45+ years I have come close to animals on the side of the road and the scatterd light from dot lights lit them up. On 2 occasions I went to pull over on the shoulder and the dot lights lit up a guy was riding a bicycle with no lights on the shoulder and another time a guy was walking on the shoulder. Both were in the middle of nowhere. Recently on a dark 4 lane street a few miles from me with a 45mph speed limit the scattered vertical light from the dot lights lit up a guy in front of me in my lane on a bicycle wearing dark cloths and no lights or reflectors and he was barely moving. I was able to whip my truck to the other lane and barely missed him. As for blinding other drivers most dot headlights from the last 10 year are already doing that. Toyota has brake lights that are so dam bright that they have blinded me and a few of my friends. If you go with the e codes just be ware that more area front of you will not be lit and if you hit someone cause you didnt see them and they find you have e code lights you will be in a lot of trouble.

·
Premium Member
10,757 Posts
Cibie H4 headlamps • 7 inch round

I used these Cibie H-4 lenses for Daniel Stern and they are both E code and DOT compliant meeting the SAE M standard. (SAE headlamp standards of US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108).

Personally, I think they have a very usable light pattern, without doubt the best I've experienced vs any vintage stock lighting.

Z
I wish there were 5-3/4" H4 dot for my 68 torino and my 69 b2. I need to search the junk yards for some from a bmw.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
I don't know how many lenses Cibie makes, but the ones sold by Daniel Stern are DOT compliant, throw a great beam both on the road and illuminates the shoulder very well too. Central Texas is deer country, and I was able to see them way off the shoulder and react accordingly.

I too am unfamiliar with the Hellas, as the Cibie lenses were recommended to me by DS as being superior, and having driven with them for many years, I have no reason to doubt that assessment.

Z

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
I wish there were 5-3/4" H4 dot for my 68 torino and my 69 b2. I need to search the junk yards for some from a bmw.
Like these from the DS website ?

Cibie H4 & H1 headlamps • 5.75” round

H4 high/low beam, convex (domed) lens: $79/ea
H4 high/low beam, convex (domed) lens, w/parking light: $79/ea

Z

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I've used the Hella lights on several vehicles and have been happy with them. I didn't drive my last car with them for a couple years and I was just blown away by how much better these lights are than any other car I had driven recently. I seems like the rectangular Hellas might have a wider low beam. But I only had the round ones on an SUV and they might work better closer to the ground. The Cibies are supposed to be good, but they cost nearly twice as much as Hellas.

·
Premium Member
10,757 Posts
I've used the Hella lights on several vehicles and have been happy with them. I didn't drive my last car with them for a couple years and I was just blown away by how much better these lights are than any other car I had driven recently. I seems like the rectangular Hellas might have a wider low beam. But I only had the round ones on an SUV and they might work better closer to the ground. The Cibies are supposed to be good, but they cost nearly twice as much as Hellas.
I put a rectangle Hella on my 1984 Kawasaki GPZ.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
I really like the stockish look of the lights as well as them being quite bright. I’ve wanted to do something like this for awhile but have been doing other projects instead and I can’t remember the last time I drove the car at night. Good write up though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts