Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cigar lighter and emergency flashers are not working on my 67. Everything else on the instrument panel is fine. I thought I'd replace the flasher and while doing so I thought I'd better check to see if I was getting power to it. When I checked (with a test light) I couldn't find any hot wire. It is my understanding that the lighter should always be hot but there's no juice coming through the blue/white stripe wire (40). Checked the fuse and it's okay. Disconnected the harness and found the only hot wire from the fuse box is the yellow wire (460) to the instrument panel. The white/red stripe wire (385) from the fuse box eventually connects to the flasher and wire 40 so I assumed it would be hot also, but it is dead.
Am I wrong in my assumption that 385 should always be hot? Or am I way off base? Is there another way I should be testing? Just trying to make sure the wiring is good before replacing the flasher and lighter. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
You're definitely correct. The cigar lighter and emergency flasher should be hot to battery positive all the time. Double check your fuse block to make sure the 12 volt side on the fuse clip has power. Use a test light to a good ground (with the fuse removed there should be one hot side and one cold side). A slightly corroded clip wouldn't make contact with the fuse end. There might be a loose connection at your fuse block.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Okay, the fuse block is fine. Without the fuse removed there is one hot and one cold. With fuse in both sides are hot. And I'm still getting power to the yellow wire (#460 in the wiring diagram) with the harness disconnected. But nothing else is hot. Is that the way it's supposed to be?

·
Registered
36,494 Posts
Since you know the fuse is hot, but the cigar lighter is dead, you now have 20" of wire to check for damage.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Double check the wire color code on your lighter and hazard flasher. I have a 67 wiring diagram that shows the yellow goes to the flasher and a (I believe) black with red (like the courtesy lights) for the lighter.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
According to this pic (and the matching one in my shop manual) the wire to the lighter is supposed to be blue/white.

Which diagram are you looking at with the yellow wire? As best I can tell #460 comes from the light switch.

I think #383 should be the hot wire, not #385. The pic in the shop manual is slightly different from the one on the website and shows #40 (blue/white) splitting off of #383 where it connects to the flasher.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I'll try to send you the one I have. It's a compressed file so I don't know if you'll be able to look at it. Nope, it won't let me do it. I'll try a different path and see if I can get it to work. Does this help?

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, guys.
Travis, I have the shop manual which shows the wiring schematics. That's what I'm going off of with the #s I listed. But yours does help.
Magnus, yes the lighter wire should be blue/white stripe which connects to red/white stripe (#383) at the flasher.
So...#383 should always be hot shouldn't it? If I disconnect the wires to the flasher, that wire is not hot. I'm trying to trace that back to a place where I can check for where the problem might be. If the fuse is good, but I'm not getting power, the problem must be in the wiring somewhere. I'm just not sure since I can't see or find anything that looks off or loose or disconnected. Frustrating!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update...
I removed the fuse box and found that the clips that hold the fuse weren't making good contact. I was getting power to the other end of the fuse but not to the clip that holds it. Cleaned up the clip and suddenly got power through the clip and all the way to the lighter post. It ended up being a simple fix (aside from having to remove to instrument cluster). Glad that I now can use a phone charger! Thanks for the replies and help.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I'm glad that we here at VMF were able to point you in the right direction to find/fix the problem. Sometimes, these little things can drive you up the wall.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts