Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just completed the rebuild on my SCJ's fan clutch and so far it seems to have been a success. Prolly the easiest rebuild that I have ever done. The problem I was having with my existing clutch was that it would freewheel too much and my car would overheat in traffic. So I decided to try this myself instead of sending it off for 6 months and spending 150.00 bucks or so. Granted, Fred would have done a much more thorough job then I was able to do, but since my bearing was nice and tight and the shaft didn't have any excess play, I decided to do it myself.

I started by cleaning the clutch in solvent to make sure it was clean, then I removed the phillips screws from the case and gently split it apart. I was expecting to find some silicone fluid in there but I didn't find squat!! Just a really light film but not really any fluid. Ya think that explains the excessive freewheelin'!!! Anyway after I split it apart I cleaned it in solvent to remove any old fluid that might still be in there and then I blew it with the air hose and then I let it dry making sure that all of the solvent had evaporated. Once it was dry, I then added aproximately 42 ml of silicone fluid made specifically for this purpose. I purchased mine from the local toyota dealer but you can get the same stuff at hobby stores that sell R/C car supplies. I then zipped it all back together and installed it back on the engine and then fired it up and checked for wobbles or other evils and didn't find anything. I let it run for about 10 minutes or so and then I shut it off and checked the shaft for seepage and the seal between the two halves and all was good. I would recommend this rebuild to anyone with a good solid clutch with good bearings and no shaft issues, only excessive freewheeling. Its really quite simple to do and could save you plenty of time and several bucks as well!!
 
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Top