Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would pass along a couple of bad customer service issues that I have had with CJ Pony Parts in the past month. First, about a month ago, I ordered a pair of lower door hinges for my 66. The right lower hinge looked like an exact copy of the factory original hinge. The left hinge was a different design with no bevel on the leading edge and a rougher finish. I decided to go ahead and used them. After painting and fighting to install the left hinge, I found that the roller was frozen. You can imagine what it sounded like when the door opened and closed. The right hinge worked perfectly. I tried everything I had to free the roller, even heat, but it wouldn't budge. I called CJ Pony and told them the situation and that I would prefer the same hinge that they sent me for the right side. They checked their stock and could not find one. They said they would mail me another left hinge. I never got it not a notification that it ever shipped. They dropped the ball somewhere. After writing 2 weeks, I rebuilt my original hinge and it works great.
If that was not enough........
5 weeks ago, I ordered a dual master cylinder conversion kit. After I installed it, the brakes never felt right. I had about 1/3 less pedal than before and much less stopping power. Also, the pedal would fade at red lights, etc.. I knew all of my wheel cylinders were new and there were no external leaks anywhere so, I determined that it was an internal leak in the master cylinder. I called CJ Pony and again, explained the situation. They first told me that they would need to call the manufacturer of the master cylinder to see if there was a warranty. I told them that would not do. It was a month old and never worked right. They agreed to send me a replacement. After waiting a week, I checked my account on their website to find that that master cylinder was on back order. I waited another week and emailed them. They offered a refund so, I accepted . I told them I would accept a refund or a store credit. a day later, I saw that they had cancelled my order but no refund or store credit. This was 3 days ago and the status hasn't changed. I emailed again with no response. I picked up a master cylinder at my local parts store for $10.00 less and it works perfect and , has a lifetime warranty!
I really hate to post something like this but, I feel that CJ Pony Parts customer Service is less than adequate. Ive spend a lot of money with them during the past few months but will no longer be doing business with them again. Maybe I had a run of bad luck.......
If they step up and take care of these issues, I will certainly post a response here.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would never buy brake, suspension or engine parts from a restoration parts company unless it was a really good deal or I couldn't get it anywhere else. None of them are set up to deal with warranty issues like an autoparts store is.
I agree but they had the conversion kit and my local stores didnt. Luckily, the master cylinder in the kit is a basic 4 drum manual MS for a 67.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I think the CJ product and installation videos are great! But I know a guy named Rick who gets me my stuff on time and is easier to deal with when things go wrong. Bada bing bada boom!:wink:

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Was going through my wish list at CJPP, picking out some of the stuff I needed, put them in the cart, then looked at the balance, it should have been around $50. $4300.00 was the total in my cart! They had transferred everything from the wish list to my cart. I ended up deleting everything and then just ordering the stuff I needed.

·
Registered
693 Posts
These posts come up every once in awhile, but I like CJs and for the most part I only order from them. I haven’t had to deal with warranty issues but have had to return parts and it’s never been an issue. I’m a CJs fan and will continue to order from them

·
Hi, how ya doin?
1,808 Posts
I have been ordering parts from CJ's for the last 8 years with only 1 issue which they resolved. I like that I am close to them so parts I order I usually have them in 2-3 days.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've been ordering from them for years and have only had minor problems, which they quickly resolved. I've had no problems with several orders placed recently.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
CJ"s demise

My last order from CJs was in May 2014. It was a Mustang Logo Knob I purchased it as a mailbox door pull. Not much to screw up!
They need to pay more attention to the details of running their business. Perhaps they should 'troll" our forum to learn the weaknesses of their staff. My "Go Tos" are NPD and Virginia Classics. Each, has never let me down, even, when I screw up!

BTW, if they don't get "onboard", we'll be reading about their "demise" next?

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I think the CJ product and installation videos are great! But I know a guy named Rick who gets me my stuff on time and is easier to deal with when things go wrong. Bada bing bada boom!:wink:
True in that I do like their installation videos.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Perhaps they should 'troll" our forum to learn the weaknesses of their staff.
There used to be a guy named Steve who would step in now and then to try and resolve issues. I think CJPP would need to hire a full-time staff member just to answer issues on here. :)

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
There used to be a guy named Steve who would step in now and then to try and resolve issues. I think CJPP would need to hire a full-time staff member just to answer issues on here. :)
Hmmm LOL!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
:shrug: can't say I have ever had a problem with them yet, or for ANY of the parts suppliers I have ordered from.

As far as customer service goes, so far the best I have received has been from Virginia Mustang...its all very subjective though and people will have different experiences.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts