Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hate to hear this. I have never had any problem with CJPP, and still use them. Maybe I've just gotten lucky. I AM very happy to have a plethora of suppliers to choose from! Before this Mustang, I had a 1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale. Talk about not being able to find parts....

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I haven't ordered anything from CJPP since last summer but in the past I have had no issue with my orders in the past. Do they have a new management team, new warehouse employees who don't care, new sales people who are don't care? It's has to be something. I wouldn't buy that it's an industry standard practice to swap parts without telling the customer in advance.

Lately I've been seeing a lot of bad press about CJPP. Hopefully they'll try to turn this around.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Me? Buy from CJPP? Nawww. I just watch the videos and see what they say about, "customers who bought this also bought..." I'd like to have a beer with Bill The Video Guy. He seems cool. But no, I'd never buy from them...because of threads like this.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I hate to hear this. I have never had any problem with CJPP, and still use them. Maybe I've just gotten lucky. I AM very happy to have a plethora of suppliers to choose from! Before this Mustang, I had a 1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale. Talk about not being able to find parts....
LOL.
Which is why my old roommate's '58 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider Veloce now sits on the side of his house with a tree growing up through the engineless front end.
But back in the day, it sure was fun to drive.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I just put about 3-4,000 of parts bolts and hardware into my restoration which is now up and running. About 2/3 of that went into CJPP. I have to say their in-stock selection is usually very good and their shipping turnaround is extremely fast....albeit I only live 2.5 hours away (PA to n. VA).

Quality wise I've found much of their staple hardware and interior things are pretty good quality and fit. However, certain items like tranny dipstick tubes can be the cheap chinese knock offs and not fit well, deteriorate if you need to bend/mill them in any way to fit right. Things like that can turn a 5 minute job into a 12 hour 2-day ordeal and then ultimately fail.

Also you PAY allot for that super fast shipping. I didn't care when I needed key parts each week to maximize my time in the shop I was working out of. Now I tend to turn away from that. Nothing good comes cheap in the world of vintage cars I guess.

The most significant purchases I've made at CJPP such as Power Steering Pumps and Carb and two different styles of harmonic damper, and 24oz flexplate were pretty good. The PS pump is a bit more noisey than I expected but as it gets more broken it it's getting smoother and quieter. They are excellent about returning unused parts for full refunds less the shipping. I would like to see more transparency as to where they get things like the P/S. I think it ended up being the Lares.

Now that I am not in a dead rush to get my car off the lift and running....I can see it's best to pick parts from different vendors based on merit and supply chain origin. For example I'd only get Leaf Springs from NPD because they use Eaton. But CJ beats anyone for hard to find fasteners and many accessories. The Scott Drake stuff sometimes is really good....sometimes is really Chinese in quality.

Their biggest downside is the horrendously long time it takes to get someone on the phone, and not all of the reps are actually knowledgeable about the cars and have to run off and ask someone. When I went there in person though and the guys were extremely knowledgeable and experienced. Classic Mustangs is not all they do, they do all the newer stuff as well so I'm not surprised not everybody isn't completely versed in 1960's hardware and pros/cons. But I ran into a bunch of old cats (customers) that knew way more than I ever will.

All in all I'd give CJ a B+ no supplier is perfect and they have to go to the cheap makers to stay profitable for some things. I get that. I just would like to know if I'm buying a knockoff and just pay the extra premium on certain things that were immensely frustrating like the tranny dipstick....because I had to buy two more to get a quality one that did what I expected the first one to do! For other things like basic bolts....it matters less.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
If CJPony are not 20 percent off or more I tend to shop with Harris mustang supply who wholesale or discount me and I save sales tax vs npd who is 2 1/2 hours north. I will say npd has most parts when other vendors do not have theirs in stock which is worth a lot. Wes

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
I would like to see more transparency as to where they get things like the P/S. I think it ended up being the Lares.
CJ Pony Parts shipped me their "CJ Classics Steering Box 1" Sector Shaft Style 16:1 1965-1967", part number SB22, that they sell for a $679.99 price tag and I received a Lares 18702 (with CJPP SB22 part sticker on box) that I see RockAuto sells for $210.70 + Shipping/applicable tax.

For me that is a $433.49 (with shipping and tax) price difference if order placed today comparing RockAuto vs. CJPP!

Do you think CJPP wants transparency on items like their "CJ Classics Steering Box"?

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
You guys are making me nervous about CJPP. I live in PA, just 90 miles from them and I have yet to have anything go wrong like you all have. I use Summit often and I have, one time, used NPD also with no problems. But now... I guess I better be more cautious about it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My biggest issue with CJPP is they show item in stock and it takes 4 weeks to get it. When you call customer service they blame it on the vendor. My answer back is , I didn't order from the vendor I order it from CJPP. Don't show it in stock if it not.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you ask head of time, they won’t tell you the brand. I was looking for wiring harnesses from alloy metal products. I called to ask who manufactured their cj classics wiring harnesses, they absolutely refused to tell me. Buyer beware of “cj classics” no more purchases from me on cj classics.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just wanted to say I've had an issue at some time or another with most vendors, to me having a problem is not an errr...problem. The only way I see it as a really big problem is when they don't work with you to resolve the issue. Sounds like CJPP did the right thing in the end, I think they should get some credit for that.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Just wanted to say I've had an issue at some time or another with most vendors, to me having a problem is not an errr...problem. The only way I see it as a really big problem is when they don't work with you to resolve the issue. Sounds like CJPP did the right thing in the end, I think they should get some credit for that.
Have you ever encountered a "Bait and Switch" practice with a Mustang vendor involving a substituted product that was $300+ less than what you received? I sure hope not...

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
If you ask head of time, they won’t tell you the brand. I was looking for wiring harnesses from alloy metal products. I called to ask who manufactured their cj classics wiring harnesses, they absolutely refused to tell me. Buyer beware of “cj classics” no more purchases from me on cj classics.
Here is an another example of why CJ Pony Parts won't tell you the brand (Wheel Vintiques) on their 15"x6" Styled Steel Wheels:

CJPP $192.99 x 1
CJPP x 4 (set dropdown) = $748.99

Jegs $144.99 x 4 = $579.96 without May $25 coupon.

Summit $142.99 x 4 = $571.96

$177.03 difference from CJPP to lowest!

Attachments

·
Registered
632 Posts
Don't overlook Summit's ALWAYS promotion code. It is active every few weeks, should be good for $50 off $500 order. With Memorial Day coming up, I would think it would be active soon. Plus Summit has great customer service, fast shipping, and liberal return policy.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Heres one of the things about CJPP that drives me nuts.

Free shipping. We know its not really free shipping, they jack the price of everything to more than cover shipping.

I ordered a alternator wiring harness for my 65 over a month ago. Item was listed as in stock.

I ordered a SD heater core for my 67 3 weeks ago, item was listed as in stock.

When the order arrived with my 65 parts, no wiring harness, on back order.

When the order arrived with my 67 parts, no heater core, on back order.

Both parts shipped on the 15th of this month out of Vegas. Tracking says it will take a week to get here.

So I order parts CJPP advertises as in stock when they are not in stock, then I have to wait a week for the slow boat shipping when they are finally in stock.

In the future, if I order an item and it is not in stock, I will cancel the order and go elsewhere unless CJPP is the sole source.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well crap I just ordered from them...just under $100 bucks worth of parts but still nervous. I ordered a few weeks ago from them and it went smoothly so fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
CJPP doesnt manufacture the items. If the supplier doesnt have it in stock, then CJPP should indicate that on their website. I often order a bunch of parts in one order and a factor in deciding who I go with is who has the items in stock. We can all agree that CJPP has horrible customer service, that will be their downfall.

·
Registered
228 Posts
We can all agree that CJPP has horrible customer service, that will be their downfall.
Not "all". So far I have had zero issues with them. Who knows? Maybe I'm just lucky. I do shop around, it's not a good idea to just order blindly from any single supplier.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts