Vintage Mustang Forums banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Mustangs Unlimited in Atlanta shut down.
Been some issues there, too.
I ordered from them via phone, web, and in-store for years without a problem, then there were problems and they just closed. Got a small order from them recently from Connecticut with no issue.
Getting most stuff from NPD now.

·
Registered
579 Posts
That would be great, but I think we're probably a couple decades too late. There used to be Southwest Mustang parts, but they closed down.

Trying to go up against the big boys these days would be tough. Sounds like a good way to go broke while having a warehouse full of Mustang parts.

You might try Mid Cities Mustang in Euless.

Mid-Cities Mustang
Yup without a mail order side to your business you can't rely on local business to survive. Just too many competitors and fewer people building cars than there were a few decades ago.

I checked out midcities mustang. He had a 66 limo project he was selling parts of. I was looking at the front clip but with the work involved to get it onto my mustang and the cost it was cheaper just to go with new parts. The new owner seems like a pretty good guy. They are mainly a rebuilding and service as I didn't see any parts there.

·
Dimples
3,635 Posts
Yup without a mail order side to your business you can't rely on local business to survive. Just too many competitors and fewer people building cars than there were a few decades ago.

I checked out midcities mustang. He had a 66 limo project he was selling parts of. I was looking at the front clip but with the work involved to get it onto my mustang and the cost it was cheaper just to go with new parts. The new owner seems like a pretty good guy. They are mainly a rebuilding and service as I didn't see any parts there.
Well that's cool. I didn't know there was a new owner. I really only dealt with them back in the 90's.

It used to be Mid Cities Mustang and Southwest Mustang Parts were in the same building. One did service, the other parts. For whatever reason, they split up and I believe Mid Cities carried some parts, and SW did some service, but for the most part they kept to their specialties. My understanding was that the son took over at Mid Cities 15-20 years ago, and the son at SW passed away and the dad who founded it retired. SW existed for a while with Kieth, who's a pretty nice guy in my experience. He just does swap meets at this point, I think.

So there's a little Tarrant County Mustang parts and service history for you. :smile2:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Well that's cool. I didn't know there was a new owner. I really only dealt with them back in the 90's.

It used to be Mid Cities Mustang and Southwest Mustang Parts were in the same building. One did service, the other parts. For whatever reason, they split up and I believe Mid Cities carried some parts, and SW did some service, but for the most part they kept to their specialties. My understanding was that the son took over at Mid Cities 15-20 years ago, and the son at SW passed away and the dad who founded it retired. SW existed for a while with Kieth, who's a pretty nice guy in my experience. He just does swap meets at this point, I think.

So there's a little Tarrant County Mustang parts and service history for you. :smile2:
Yeah it's like everything else anymore, you can't get anything locally so you just order it and have it delivered... Course it's been that way with most things here even before online ordering. I can't even get the building supplies I need at depot or lowes either so it all gets ordered or I make a trip to Menards in Wichita,ks. Even with the drive I save hundreds on what I buy there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've been a CJPP customer for years, although it had been awhile since I last ordered from them. Just for the record, I placed an order Monday (6/3) for an item listed as in stock and paid for UPS shipping. UPS says it's on the truck to be delivered today. I'm in Farragut, TN, a suburb of Knoxville.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just ordered from CJPP for the 2nd time in 2 weeks. 1st order arrived 2 days after I placed it, no problems. I ordered yesterday and they said one item was possible delayed, but when the shipment email came today everything is shipped and I'll have it by Friday at the latest. I've only had one long backorder delay in 3 years and that was only a week. But of course, I'm right "up the road" from them so to speak so maybe that makes a difference. I buy from Summit and Mustangs Unlimited too. I'm going to try NPD as well. Wherever I can get good parts at a reasonable cost.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I order from anywhere I can get quality parts and fair pricing, which I believe is what we all want. I order the most from CJPP since they are closest to me. To date CJPP has not given me a reason to stop using them. I don't know if I am just one of the lucky ones or if its a matter of ordering parts they readily stock, but I have not been disappointed yet. I have easily spent $2k-$3k with them over the last few years for my 66 & 67 most orders arrived quickly, with no damage and the quality is in line with the other vendors I purchase through.

I feel for the members that have had issues with these guys, I hope they recognize their short comings and improve. The last thing I want is another vendor to close up shop. It was nice to have a vendor close by that I could drive to when Laurel Mountain Mustang was in business, but they are long gone. Its definitely a bonus being only a couple hundred miles from CJPP, I usually receive in stock orders within 2 days. I placed an order on Monday 6/17 and had it on Wednesday.

The feedback and reviews posted on the VMF for vendors is definitely helpful, I appreciate hearing the good and the bad.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
To date CJPP has offered absolutely no explanation on why they pulled a bait and switch on me other than it being standard in the industry to make substitutions. In summary, I bought FR1497Q with my $75 coupon for an amount paid of $494.52 and received a $211 Lares '65 Mustang steering box that I lucky caught as being a substitute (after getting put through the 5th degree for a return having to bear proof it didn't fit properly).

What I can tell you is CJPP made the following changes since my thread was created:

FR1497Q (Flaming River Steering Box Long Shaft 1" Sector Style 16:1 1965-1966) pricing has gone from $539.99 to $699.99

SB22 (CJ Classics Steering Box 1" Sector Shaft Style 16:1 1965-1967) is still priced at $599.99

My educated guess is as follows:
-CJPP was caught with the bait and switch (on FR1497Q) so they decided to raise the price of the FR1497Q above competition (Jegs , Summer, etc) so you will now consider their SB22 "CJ Classics Steering Box" to purchase.

-SB22 is a Lares 18702 steering box that is presently being sold by RockAuto for $211.79 before taxes/shipping, compared to $599.99 at CJPP so obviously they are adding a substantial markup (big profit).

Are there any other "CJ Classics" parts do they do this marketing with?

-------------------------

Regardless of getting a good deal on something else from CJPP I will never give a company that would try and pull what they did on me any more of my hard earned money unless they admit fault and make things right, which they have not done to date.

CJPP representatives you are always welcome to respond to this thread regarding MY experience, but I have a feeling you never will!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Summit has an item on backorder. They missed the shipping date twice. Im still waiting.
Call and ask. I believe those shipping dates are generated automatically by their system, based on the normal delivery time from that manufacturer. There may be a problem Summit are not aware of. I once had a part the kept moving shipping date. I asked, Summit looked into it and replayed after a day that the manufactor had actually stopped producing it. Summit have always treated me and everybody I know really good. They have an amazing customer service for being a company of that size.

·
Registered
101 Posts
That would be great, but I think we're probably a couple decades too late. There used to be Southwest Mustang parts, but they closed down.

Trying to go up against the big boys these days would be tough. Sounds like a good way to go broke while having a warehouse full of Mustang parts.
Absolutely, used to be several major vendors back in the late-80s to early aughts; Houston Dallas Waco and I think San Antonio had one, was even one in Cedar Park.

FWIW I see a lot of people on forums buying their Raptor parts through CJPP and nobody complains, but comparing the ease of supplying and specing genII raptor to a ~50 year old (often heavily modified) Mustang is really not fair.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wont do business with CJ Pony parts, last couple days I have called to try and order parts, always get a recording they are busy and will call you back, well today I was looking for front brake rotors, figured I'd give them another shot well, same thing, press 1 and we will call you back in approximately 480 minutes, yep that's right 480 minutes, to make a long story short, I ordered from Classic industries and I'm still waiting for a call from CJ's, I called at 11:30 AM it's now 7:40pm.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Call and ask. I believe those shipping dates are generated automatically by their system, based on the normal delivery time from that manufacturer. There may be a problem Summit are not aware of. I once had a part the kept moving shipping date. I asked, Summit looked into it and replayed after a day that the manufactor had actually stopped producing it. Summit have always treated me and everybody I know really good. They have an amazing customer service for being a company of that size.

Agreed.... call them.
I’ve had remarkably good luck with them and have had to return a ton of stuff by ordering the wrong parts..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hear what everyone is saying about CJPP and also have been a victim. Just last week had ordered a set of rear window molding clips and put a rush 3-day shipping on them for $19.04. They never showed and when I checked the tracking info online, they hadn't moved out of Nevada after 3 days. Contacted CJ to cancel order and got a full refund no prob, at least I give them that. Previous purchase, I had bought the front window clips with screws. When I went to install, screws were too thin. Compared them to the originals and they were 1/32 inch too thin. Sent in a review to them about this (see https://www.cjponyparts.com/65-cp-rear-window-mldgs-38-hardware-only-1965/p/F3568/). To their credit, they posted the review.
My bigger issue is that CJPP used to have free ground shipping no matter how small the order, until they changed that to a minimum order of $50. You'd think prices would drop then but no. I still give them some business but prefer places like Kentucky Mustang who only charge $4.95 under $50 or Dallas Mustang, Summit, NPD.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
My bigger issue is that CJPP used to have free ground shipping no matter how small the order, until they changed that to a minimum order of $50.
CJPP built their market share up with the free shipping, now they're trying to milk the marketshare for everything it is worth and then some!

·
Registered
579 Posts
CJPP built their market share up with the free shipping, now they're trying to milk the marketshare for everything it is worth and then some!
If by milk it you mean providing parts at lower prices to your door than other suppliers then yeah I guess so. (there are a few exceptions but for the most part they are cheaper than anyone else in to the door prices but it is hard to tell what brand/quality the part is)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
If by milk it you mean providing parts at lower prices to your door than other suppliers then yeah I guess so. (there are a few exceptions but for the most part they are cheaper than anyone else in to the door prices but it is hard to tell what brand/quality the part is)
"But it is hard to tell what brand/quality the part is"

By milk it I mean make a profit off their marketshare from customers conditioned to think they're getting the best deal from past sales. Here are some quick examples:

The Flaming River steering box (FR1497Q) is:
$699.99 at CJPP
$621.99 at Jegs
$619.99 at Summit Racing

ARP Exhaust Header Stud Kit 3/8" Stainless Steel Hex Head Small Block/Big Block V8 (400-1414):
$88.66 at CJPP
$78.99 at Jegs
$77.99 at Summit Racing

Styled Steel Wheel 15"x6" 1965 Style 1965-1973
$192.99 at CJPP
$157.99 at Summit Racing
$143.99 at Jegs

MSD Distributor Ready-To-Run With Iron Gear 260/289/302 (MSD 8352):
$444.95 at CJPP
$429.95 at Summit Racing

McLeod Clutch Kit Street Pro 10" 289/302 1965-1974 (75113):
$252.99 at CJPP
$235.99 at Jegs
$235.71 at Summit Racing

I've noticed a lot of small parts are more expensive too... If you want to buy your AMK Products hardware at a higher cost than AMK direct or NPD you can shop at CJPP.

Cheers.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts