Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately ive heard all of the negatives of CJ. The only time ive bought from them it was great. I had no troubles at all. My question is:

im thinking of buying QP skins and floor pans from them. How is the quality compared to other parts suppliers? Im mainly thinking CJ cause I can avoid truck freight. Are there any other suppliers you can recommend?

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
I've only ever bought from CJs in person.

Didn't someone on the VMF buy something from them and then when the part came they found that someone chopped the sheet metal so it would fit in a smaller box and save on shipping?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've used them for a year, along with a couple other suppliers. I usually wait for their sale days...mon/fri(get informed by email), and have never had a bad experience. I've bought fenders/other body parts from them and Must.Unltd, and to be honest, neither is perfect/excellent, but then the cars weren't perfect fit/finish when they left the factory brand new. I'm sure if cost was not a factor, you can find the highest quality parts, but you'd also probably pay double. I guess it depends on whether you have a budget, and then, whether you're building a trailer queen show car, or a nice driver.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I had nothing but bad experiences with them. Told parts were in stock and what wasn't in-stock would ship in a week or two.

Needless to say, 5 weeks latter, 8 different shipments . . . of which 5 of the items shipped were wrong or defective and still missing close to 20% of the order I decided I had enough. What I found the most rude, they wanted me to ship back the wrong and defective products on my dime and would not issue credit until they were received.

Placed my first order with NPD and never looked back.

It seems to be a mixed bag with CJ's. For everyone like myself, there are others that have had no problem.

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
No problem. Never bought panels

·
Registered
684 Posts
No problems. I have been buying from them for five years almost exclusively. Of course I have been buying less as time goes by as I need less.

Overall I am very satisfied.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
They are ok, and not bad to work with, but they tend to backorder a lot of stuff. I use to buy exclusively from CJ but after a huge list of backordered items this past year I switched to Virginia Classic Mustang; I havent had a backordered part yet and I get it in 3 days whether I need it or not.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
take advantage of there sales, if they are local to you, definetley go for it. that way you will save the most, of course, many ofthere sales are on line only so i do not knwo if you can save the shipping costs but you would be better off talking to chris or gary in customer service. there panels are like everyone elses, KSI or dynacorn(not sure if they have dynacorns yet though) also they have ford tooling panel$$ but be prepared to spend big $$$ for them.
they will also charge you tax if you pick up in person.
I may sound negative towards them but I mostly buy from them exclusively only because whenever I buy, I spend more then 300 & get free shipping, & I get all the sales items possible
they are very notorious for backorders though, just recently I waited 3 months for sadlle door handle pull straps for my 68 & a parking brake adjusting rod, I mean , come on!!

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
obsidianspider said:
I've only ever bought from CJs in person.

Didn't someone on the VMF buy something from them and then when the part came they found that someone chopped the sheet metal so it would fit in a smaller box and save on shipping?
I bought a trunk floor from them and they cut off 6" to save on shipping and didn't even send the piece they cut off. Then I had to argue with them to pay for return shipping.

I personally wouldn't deal with them because I despise their business practices. However, if you live close by and can go to their store and see what you're getting and get a better price than you can anywhere else, I see no problem with you buying from them. They sell the same stuff that all of the other retailers sell.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I HAVE NEVER TRIED CJ SO I HAVE NO OPINION ABOUT THEM.
I USE NPD AND AM VERY HAPPY WITH THEM AND HAVE ALSO ONLY HEARD(read)GOOD THINGS ABOUT THEM.

MIKE

·
Registered
337 Posts
Never had a problem with them. But most of the time I buy all my parts from Laurel Mountain Mustang in Penn.
Kerry

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Bighorse has the right idea. If you can buy from them locally, you can handle the complaints a lot easier in person rather than always with shipping involved. I used to buy a lot of stuff from them, but the last few times I tried, everything I needed was backordered. Truly, I did not want to wait. So, I bought from others. At the shows they go to, like Columbus, they have a great booth, but every sales rep I've encountered has a totally indifferent attitude and seemingly could care less if you bought from them or not. They can stuff it as far as I'm concerned. I get the emails all the time, but hit the delete button as soon as it arrives. Getting back to your question, buying locally eliminates a lot of problems. If you don't like it when you go to pick it up, don't buy it. The only thing I see on panels is to get Ford tooling if at all possible. The import stuff usually is different and harder to work with. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Bought a set of QP skins from them 3 years ago. When my body shop went to install them they were about 3/4" to long. CJs told me my car was not right. After having to send them back on my own dime they sent new ones and told me they did have a few bad ones. Since then I have had nothing but troubles with them. Stop buying from them 2 years ago and will never buy from them again.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I won one of thier Ebay auctions and placed 2 or 3 small orders with them. No problems or backorders involved although these were small orders, just interior bits.

I mainly deal with M.U, NPD, and Classic Mustang due to the fact I always get new catalogs every year from them. I only got a CJs catalog once.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok what about dallas mustang or texas mustang? these 2 are in texas so i can pick parts up if i wanted a road trip. Anyone had experience w/ these 2 suppliers?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
69stroker said:
ok what about dallas mustang or texas mustang? these 2 are in texas so i can pick parts up if i wanted a road trip. Anyone had experience w/ these 2 suppliers?
If your in Texas how are you going to save on shipping? I know they offer free shipping once a week but i thought it didn't apply to freight items. Large sheet metal items i always buy in person either at swap meets or at the store. Things like quarter panels are always being damaged during shipping and many suppliers consider dings and dents as unavoidable. If you show up in person you have a better chance of hand picking a good one or getting a few bucks off for minor damage.

As far as CJ's goes i did use them all the time but had an issue with them not telling me a bunch of parts were back ordered until i showed up to get them. However they are one of the cheapest suppliers you can find so if you don't mined the back orders and there customer service i would use them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts