Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I bet you can’t even destroy it. 😜
Have fun!

·
Premium Member
8,307 Posts
I did something like that last week. A person has consigned a bunch of parts to me, a lot of it Camaro. There was 1 door seal, not a pair. It was marked for a 1967, It sold for $10 with $7.65 to ship it. The guy who got it said it was for a 1968. Shipping it back, without the ebay discount would have been over $9.

He did not want it, so I told him to cut it and send a picture, to give to the consignee, end of story.

After the picture, he got a full refund.

·
Vendor
4,816 Posts
We abandon incorrect, defective or damaged parts daily. No point in paying $15 to get a $30 part back so that we can toss it in the dumpster. Not to mention troubling the customer to re-pack, connect with the UPS driver, wait and wait until we get it back, just to get their replacement or refund, is insult on top of injury. But I've never requested proof of destruction. I've never considered that to be important or necessary. I ask for photos proving the issue, but that's proof enough for me. If someone flips the wrong or goofy part to a friend or at a swap meet, hell, that's lemonade from the lemon. It doesn't hurt NPD measurable... conversely, ordering customers to commit further labor and time is far more damaging to us. So... Normally I'd be silent on a thread like this, but I find it beyond humorous, and more like bizarre.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I have never been instructed to destroy any defective part, but just to toss it out with the junk. I have heard of it before though.

While it would be fun to go medieval on it, think I would just cut it in half if that is good enough for them. That way someone might still be able to use part of it.

The next one they send may be exactly like that one.

·
Registered
699 Posts
In the early 1980's Leupold and Stevens introduced their "ULTRA" line of military rifle scopes (M1, M2, M3 and the later M1A, M2A, and M3A) and as I recall prices were between $800 and $1,000 retail depending on the model. In order to eliminate the possibility of the reticle failing as often happened with the ART-TEL and ART II scopes on the M21 rifles the ULTRA scope reticles were etched on glass instead of being made of wire. This created its own set of problems; the reticle lens were glued in place with some sort of permanent glue but during the process the glue often got where it should not have been making the part unusable. Somehow this was happening at a frequent rate but not detected until late in the production process.

I ordered two of the ULTRA M2 scopes which had a reticle similar to the LAAW and these were particularly expensive for Leupold to make although the scope sold for less money. I think my ordered took 9 or 10 months before I received a box in the mail saying "The enclosed scopes are factory Blems, please use these with our best wishes until we can get good ones to you. When the new scopes arrive please destroy the blems". The new ones arrived about 2 weeks later and I of course adopted the "wear it out approach" for destruction...

I know there were many other people that were given or sold ULTRA blems and I know of one guy that was sent more than 10 units. There were also some unscrupulous types that resold the scopes as 1st quality for full price. If you ever see an ULTRA for sale look hard at the bottom of the "knuckle" that contains the adjustments. If it is a blem a small upper case "B" will be stamped there. Some of these were floating around the Ft. Bragg area and I suspect some might have made there way to Ft. Benning.

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5, 331 stroker, TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear, 3.55 gears
1,915 Posts
Well it sounds like you received a quick and polite response from CJPP. The request to destroy it doesn't seem all that unreasonable. Bending it in half and sending them a photo isn't too much to ask. It is after all a part worth over $200. I hope this means CJPP has turned the corner on their business issues, I had good experiences with them in the past.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I think that's an odd request from them. Is this normal? I've never been asked to do that. I guess it varies by company.
Normal for CJPP, I'm not sure. For other companies, absolutely. When my buddy bought a carbon fiber hood for his car that arrived with a split on the underside, the company asked him to completely destroy that thing. They didn't want any possibility of him reselling it

·
Registered
10,833 Posts
Normal for CJPP, I'm not sure. For other companies, absolutely. When my buddy bought a carbon fiber hood for his car that arrived with a split on the underside, the company asked him to completely destroy that thing. They didn't want any possibility of him reselling it
That makes sense on a part like a hood.

If the hood was defective it is their name that gets drawn through the mud. They made it right and want the bad one destroyed.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
The replacement part will be exactly the same. The best chance of anything fitting correctly will be what NPD is sourcing. It still may not fit correctly, but they're at least sourcing the best fitting of what's available.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I had same issue with that cowl. I just adusted it to make it fit. Being in the UK I didn't even consider trying to send it back.
So...the conclusion to draw from this is that the 67 lower cowl fits the 66 better than the reproduction 66 cowl? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Reactions: Anangryford

·
Registered
9 Posts
Seems that way :) . I believe the 66 cowl is actually a 65. No sure if there were subtle differences. Top cowl had to have the wiper holes grafted in from the original cowl to make it a 66.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Back to the boring stuff. What exactly is wrong with it? Is it too short or you just don't like the fit out of the box?
The passenger side fit well. As you can see in the picture, its bent in the wrong place on the driver side. The lip near the windshield is too high. I would need to cut a 1/4" out across half of it and weld it back together. I chose to try a different brand from NPD. I have enough metal fab to do already.

The one from NPD will be test fit today and and if it fits the other one will be cut in half.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I’d probably deal with that without a return as the die itself is probably the issue, not the part. The next one will be the same unless you switch manufacturers, not vendors. NPD is your friend here and should be able to tell you if they use another source.

But failing that, someone capable of drilling all the spot welds and even getting to the point you are at to take that photo likely has the know-how to massage that corner if that’s the only issue.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts