Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Vendor
4,816 Posts
Ive had to do this a handful of times. Some with small items that just go in the trash or larger items that took a few minutes to “destroy” per directions. I actually find this TOTALLY acceptable for any mail order item. Sure the best service is making a return or something like this easy. But given the preponderance of fraud in the world, you may either be giving good product away or hopefully discouraging a small portion of that fraud. I could guarantee it took way less time to cut that thing in half than it would to box up, label and drive down to the FedX or UPS store to ship it back. I’ve also had way more cases of the store asking me to ship something worthless back only for them to lose even more money due to return shipping (shipping fee exceeded the part cost).. Maybe the manufacture has to cover these costs but either way, I feel if they didn’t request proof of destruction (or return), they are promoting fraud and WILL be taken advantage of.

I was even given a less than expected treatment by NPD when I called to notify them I wanted to return “their best” 65 GT grill due to being unusable regardless of all of my photos (in my eyes - as I was unwilling to attempt modification/possibly ruining it).
NPD won’t refund until they get the part back for inspection - that’s been my experience. I have no issues with that either as doing otherwise could promote fraud (fraud also includes customers lying or embellishing on the parts condition) . If I get something broke or not as described,, I’m just happy to get prompt courteous customer support, paid return shipping and a fast refund once received. I have no problem with doing my part getting the item back to them in an as-received condition - if they so request.

On the flip side: Argue or attempt to make me cover return shipping even when it’s an item issue outside of my control,, You just lost a customer.
Im a firm believer that if you are a mail order service/business model,, covering return shipping when items arrive unusable is a cost of doing business. Not a customer cost because they chose to order from you..
- When it comes to a new business purchase, once I determine they have the item, I am researching their return policy..
Please PM me with an invoice # or name/address so I can find you in the system, and I'll take a look at it. If you have photos and/or an email exchange with one of our locations, please forward it all to me at [email protected] . Thanks!

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Reactions: Anangryford

·
Registered
65 Coupe / Family owned since 21 APR 1964
655 Posts
Please PM me with an invoice # or name/address so I can find you in the system, and I'll take a look at it. If you have photos and/or an email exchange with one of our locations, please forward it all to me at [email protected] . Thanks!

Rick
NPD
Rick - for you and those reading,
Maybe my post came out wrong but my interactions with your staff worked out perfectly fine. I had no issues with the return. My less than expected comment was only due to the phone conversation initially went in a direction that I should expect to have to modify some parts and given that, it was conveyed that I would have to pay for the return. This would have been sometime last year if I remember correctly. Involved one of your 65 GT grilles where the “v” shape did not match my original or the mounts on the car. It was the more expensive grille and I will admit best reproduction example of my original with exception to the “v”. However, I did not want to try to bend it and risk an issue where a return was not possible etc.
This took a bit of discussion but in the end I was given direction and boxed her up well and sent it back. Might have taken a week but the return $$ was completed with zero issues. I could be wrong but I believe you even commented in a thread/conversation where you brought the grille issue up with the manufacturer.
Regardless, my attempt above was to say even NPD can and will question return “motives” if you will.. I may have felt the tone of the initial conversation could of gone smoother but in the end was evident that once I did my part there was no questions with my return. And heck, maybe the way I was discussing the issue had your employee questioning my complaint.
I’ve never ran a business beyond a garage sale so can only imagine the juggling act between the best customer support you can give and not getting taken advantage of. Many a flawless order with NPD since then.

Thank you for checking Sir,

·
Premium Member
1966 GT 4spd
2,109 Posts
I had a defective Earl fitting and Holley requested the same before they sent me a replacement.

Font Gas Wood Auto part Soil

·
Vendor
4,816 Posts
Rick - for you and those reading,
Maybe my post came out wrong but my interactions with your staff worked out perfectly fine. I had no issues with the return. My less than expected comment was only due to the phone conversation initially went in a direction that I should expect to have to modify some parts and given that, it was conveyed that I would have to pay for the return. This would have been sometime last year if I remember correctly. Involved one of your 65 GT grilles where the “v” shape did not match my original or the mounts on the car. It was the more expensive grille and I will admit best reproduction example of my original with exception to the “v”. However, I did not want to try to bend it and risk an issue where a return was not possible etc.
This took a bit of discussion but in the end I was given direction and boxed her up well and sent it back. Might have taken a week but the return $$ was completed with zero issues. I could be wrong but I believe you even commented in a thread/conversation where you brought the grille issue up with the manufacturer.
Regardless, my attempt above was to say even NPD can and will question return “motives” if you will.. I may have felt the tone of the initial conversation could of gone smoother but in the end was evident that once I did my part there was no questions with my return. And heck, maybe the way I was discussing the issue had your employee questioning my complaint.
I’ve never ran a business beyond a garage sale so can only imagine the juggling act between the best customer support you can give and not getting taken advantage of. Many a flawless order with NPD since then.

Thank you for checking Sir,
I just wanted to make sure you were, one way or the other, made whole.. I fuzzily remember the issue, although it's been '67 grilles with the ongoing v-angle issue. We're not having problems with the '65's..

And yes, certainly, there is always some conversation to ascertain the extent and validity of a complaint. Discretion is damned near an art form, because cold/straight-line policy is not customer friendly, nor does it benefit a company in the long term.

My only points were. 1. Typically good photographs by email suffice (things were tougher before the internet), and 2. I've found that the vast majority of hobbyists are honest, and well intentioned, such that decisions don't need to be heavily weighted towards paranoid fears of being "scammed", or worrying about what happens down the road with a faulty or wrong part. Such a large percentage of our customers are so decent and good, I've found it counterproductive to allow the rare scheister to dictate our demands and actions. Once we can see the part is truly no good and not worth getting back to look at ourselves, I honestly don't think destruction of it is necessary or even productive. It's waste, because so often one man's junk is another man's treasure. Maybe some other person would LOVE to have that compromised piece because they're on a budget and willing to work with it. Our scratch and dent and defect room in Florida is hugely popular, and I reject the notion that it harms us. It's actually the opposite, it makes customers happy and reduces waste.

I honestly think it's the waste aspect that drives me. I'd rather find a happy home for the 3-legged mutt, than euthanize it. Lol 😆 😉

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
946 Posts
A few weeks ago I ordered a driver side rocker molding for my '69 Mach 1 from CJPP. A molding arrived in a timely manner but it was the passenger side molding. The plastic sleeve that the molding was in was marked for the driver side. I guess the manufacturer mislabelled it. I called CJPP and talked to a very polite and helpful young lady who processed my request and shipped the correct molding to me. She told me that they did not want the incorrect molding returned. A molding that they sell for $69+ isn't worth the $12 return shipping? HMMMMM. Dave R.

·
Vendor
4,816 Posts
A few weeks ago I ordered a driver side rocker molding for my '69 Mach 1 from CJPP. A molding arrived in a timely manner but it was the passenger side molding. The plastic sleeve that the molding was in was marked for the driver side. I guess the manufacturer mislabelled it. I called CJPP and talked to a very polite and helpful young lady who processed my request and shipped the correct molding to me. She told me that they did not want the incorrect molding returned. A molding that they sell for $69+ isn't worth the $12 return shipping? HMMMMM. Dave R.
Due to the length, and including all of the additional fees that UPS and FedEx don't publish online (fuel surcharge, regional surcharge, etc..), it would have cost them more like $25 - $30 to get it back. Add in the time to inspect, re-label and re-shelf, it's close to a wash.

Amazon and the plethora of online "free shipping" deals has totally wrecked the public perception of what shipping actually costs. Even under our extremely well-negotiated National Account contract, a 1 lb 8x8x8 box costs over $15 just to ship from FL to GA.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Due to the length, and including all of the additional fees that UPS and FedEx don't publish online (fuel surcharge, regional surcharge, etc..), it would have cost them more like $25 - $30 to get it back. Add in the time to inspect, re-label and re-shelf, it's close to a wash.

Amazon and the plethora of online "free shipping" deals has totally wrecked the public perception of what shipping actually costs. Even under our extremely well-negotiated National Account contract, a 1 lb 8x8x8 box costs over $15 just to ship from FL to GA.
CJPP charged me $13 to ship the molding to me. Dave R.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
That's it?

How come you don't have anger issues? From drilling out too many spot welds?
Haha. Because the “scraps” could help someone else. Any takers? Free dollars and free cents to anyone local that can pick up.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
2,657 Posts
Haha. Because the “scraps” could help someone else. Any takers? Free dollars and free cents to anyone local that can pick up.
That value is pale in comparison to entertaining some random Mustang misfits on the internet. Do you not have access to dynamite? Shotgun? Drive over it with a pickup?

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Not sure why this is a topic.

CJPP is doing the right thing and it is within their rights to have a defective part destroyed.

What is the purpose of this thread?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Not sure why this is a topic.

CJPP is doing the right thing and it is within their rights to have a defective part destroyed.

What is the purpose of this thread?
I started the thread because it seemed like a strange request and to let you all know that I had a good experience with CJPP. What’s the purpose of your comment?

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Not a strange request at all. Perhaps the first time for you, but for myself and others, not out of the ordinary at all.

Reactions: GrayRaceCat

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thats what my replacement lower cowl looked like at the drivers corner when I replaced it. Clamped it down and massaged it into place. Worked great.

·
Vendor
4,816 Posts
CJPP charged me $13 to ship the molding to me. Dave R.
Yep... At a significant loss... That they compensate for either with the price of the molding, or, at the expense of other orders that are more lucrative, or a mixture of both, or... They're just digging a deeper hole.

Shipping isn't free nor is it cheap. $13 bucks to ship a rocker molding isn't a break-even.. It's like government, if you're getting a deal, someone else is subsidizing it.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts