Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 1967 FB that has a production date code 06U, which translates into July 6, 1967. We are looking for an engine for it and that is where the confusion comes in as far as what I am finding online. Looking for 2 to 6 weeks previous date code as expected. I am seeing different letter designations for the months of May and June depending on what I read online.
I am seeing E for May, F for June OR S for May and T for June. Can someone clear this up for me please with certainty?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ford's logic for assembly date codes contemplated months being represented by letters of the alphabet starting with "A" for January and progressing through the alphabet (excluding "I" and "O") to "M" for December. Once those letters were used, the second appearance of a month in a model year production resulted in a letter beyond "M".

For 1967 model production, this is how it looked (July and August appearing twice):

July, 1966 = G
August, 1966 = H
September, 1966 = J
October, 1966 = K
November, 1966 = L
December, 1966 = M
January, 1967 = A
February, 1967 = B
March, 1967 = C
April, 1967 = D
May, 1967 = E
June,1967 = F
July, 1967 = U
August, 1967 = V

To put some logic into this naming convention, Ford distinguished cars built during the first 12 months of production from those built during the second 12 months of production.

In practice July and August were the only two months that appeared in both the first and the second year of production for 1967 model year cars.

To my knowledge the first Mustang production run was 17 months with months March, April, May, June, and July, 1965 which accounts for the use of "S" and "T" for months May and June of 1965.

It is my guess that the person who came up with this convention was the same guy who designed the Tilt-Away steering column and the sequential turn signal lights (Rube Goldberg?) LOL

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
For a engine casting date, it is strictly the calendar year and S or T will not apply. It is just A-M as mentioned.

·
Premium Member
12,035 Posts
You can get a Marti Report to confirm the actual build date of your car. Assuming it was actually built in July, 1967 you are looking for an engine with casting date codes such as 7G? or 7F?.The question marks will be replaced with a number between 1 and 31 representing the day of the month.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. Yes the car has a Marti and confirmed build date. So if I am understanding this correctly for engine casting or build date codes I am using A-M ( with no I) for the 12 months of production? So May would be E, June would be F and July would be G correct?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts