Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today, a mechanic came up to my house and was checking out the mustang when he asked what kind of engine I had. I told him a 351C and he said he didn't think so. I don't know much about different engines so I couldn't argue, and I got down, wire brushed the block and found that my numbers say KI then it looks like two lines really close together. maybe an H or else two 1's? I don't know. but according to my chiltons manual that means I have a 289 Hi-Po in there. so I was flabbergasted obviously but what choice do I have other than to believe it, I am pretty sure the numbers don't lie. Maybe I was reading the chart wrong though? Maybe I am looking in the wrong spot on the block though? Should I be mad or happy that I have a 289 Hi-Po or what? I am pretty lost in all this engine stuff. What do you guys think?
Thanks
Kalen

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
The odds of the engine being a 289 hi-po are pretty long. Especially in a later car like yours. The hi-po was out of production after '67.
On your engine, does the upper radiator hose enter the engine through the intake manifold, or through the top of the block in front of the intake manifold? That will tell you whether its a Windsor (289, 302, 351) or a Cleveland (351) motor.
Let us know whether its a Cleveland or a Windsor, and we'll try to help you figure out what flavor.

Carl

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it enters through the top of the block in front of the intake. I am taking pictures of the engine and I will put them on tonight, maybe that will help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts