Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have installed the underdash model of the Classic Auto Air in a 65 or 66 I would love to see pics of your install. Front and both sides to see positioning of the unit and the drain tubes.

please post your pics!

Thank you!

Allen

·
Registered
836 Posts
So this is in a 1968. It’s has had an under dash since 1976 according to the papers I have from the original owners files. Had a York style with all the trappings. Originally was a (real ugly) Sears unit. I’ve got the under dash installed but system is still in the works. Did the condenser, and Sanden compressor mounts while I was installing my new intake this weekend. I’ll install the comp do wiring and a charge once I rig up a new fuel hard line (current one is a hack that is in the way).

Oh and this evap unit is a custom-ish one from “Restomod Air” who says they are a sister company owned by the parent company of Classic Auto Air. Everything but the condenser face is from CAA.

Drain tubes which I haven’t stuck in yet are clear plastic that will go on both sides. The holes are already cut from the previous install and the carpet conceals them very nicely.

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I finished the install today. I thought I would post my pics so if others run across this thread they would have them. The Classic Auto Air under dash has two drainage tubes. I connected the drivers side one to the passenger side tube via a connecting tube in back. The instructions say to cut your carpet and drill the hole though the carpet. I lifted up the carpet and over drilled the hole directly through the floor (instructions called for an 11/16 drill bit. I used a 3/4 bit and put in a grommet then placed the tube. I thought I would have a better seal that way). Then rather than cutting the carpet I used a Phillips screw driver to make the hole then enlarged it. Then I ran the tube through. Worked very well.
BC8C2635-0F5E-4DDC-A985-04528E7F3D9E.jpeg
6BD60A5A-6521-4872-9641-4769F6697329.jpeg
E81C1367-B570-40D9-B096-A0B50971137C.jpeg
8615B8E8-6F8F-49D0-8C67-5E03FC0BADF7.jpeg
81E35F05-2E33-40B6-B3E7-1D3FC3A7CCB6.jpeg

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Nice setup. Did that install require you to move the heater controls? Looks like they are in the ash tray location now.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice setup. Did that install require you to move the heater controls? Looks like they are in the ash tray location now.
no. The picture is deceiving. Can use the heater controls normally.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here’s a better frontal picture
F33C3FB8-024B-4AE2-841C-14620B1298FF.jpeg

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
So this is in a 1968. It’s has had an under dash since 1976 according to the papers I have from the original owners files. Had a York style with all the trappings. Originally was a (real ugly) Sears unit. I’ve got the under dash installed but system is still in the works. Did the condenser, and Sanden compressor mounts while I was installing my new intake this weekend. I’ll install the comp do wiring and a charge once I rig up a new fuel hard line (current one is a hack that is in the way).

Oh and this evap unit is a custom-ish one from “Restomod Air” who says they are a sister company owned by the parent company of Classic Auto Air. Everything but the condenser face is from CAA.

Drain tubes which I haven’t stuck in yet are clear plastic that will go on both sides. The holes are already cut from the previous install and the carpet conceals them very nicely.
Here’s a better frontal picture View attachment 747400
149763-993e422d3ebe3201cb5b308a492203b9.jpg

So both of you guys have posted pictures that show thiese units offset to the passenger side. Was the Factory set up off set as well ?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes. If you center the console it gets in the way of the accelerator pedal.

·
Registered
836 Posts
View attachment 747403 View attachment 747403

So both of you guys have posted pictures that show thiese units offset to the passenger side. Was the Factory set up off set as well ?
Factory for 68' was in dash A/C. So N/A. My Sears unit that has install papers and receipt from 1976 shows an offset built into it as you can see in my first pic so it was more into the passenger. The newer unit being a few inches shorter does not have an offset built in. But you must put it more towards the passenger side to avoid conflicting your gas pedal. I gave myself an extra inch or two because I still didn't hook up the compressor hoses yet. My firewall holes were already drilled on what would be the stock location. I used the original right side mount hole for my under dash but drilled a new one on the other side owing to my shorter R134a powered unit. They are a pain in the butt to mount by yourself. I used old books and wood blocks to level it and test it in various positions before I marked and drilled.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts