Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to register as a classic auto and still have custom license plates in texas?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Well, here's right off the FAQ. A shame really. Whatever that brass-era buggy is on the antique plate is kinda lame unless you've got a brass-era car to put it on.

What types of vehicles can my specialty plate be issued to?
Our specialty plates are issued to a variety of vehicles including passenger, light trucks, motorcycles, trailer, travel trailer, motor homes and private bus. Our specialty plates can be placed on an older (Antique) vehicle carrying regular registration. However, Antique Vehicle Registration is unique and separate from regular registration and has its own registration class, fees and restrictions. Therefore, our specialty plates cannot be placed on an Antique Vehicle officially registered as such and in lieu of Antique Vehicle plates.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In texas isn't there a Antique plate and then a classic car plate? Those are two different arent they?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yes, "Antique Auto" is basically five years for the cost of one, but technically restricted to driving to car shows or parades or such but weekend pleasure driving is tolerated. Classic Auto registration is the same as regular registration, you can drive it anytime, anywhere, but you get a plate that says "Classic Auto".

·
Registered
788 Posts
I do not know if this is true or not but i have heard from several sources that I believe it will be in September of this year you will no longer be able to obtain for instance a 1966 Texas License Plate and register it for your car. I am being told this is going to end, again I no confirmation that this is true.

·
Registered
572 Posts
No, you can still register "year of manufacture" plates as an "antique". But what is ending is that you will no longer be able to register YOM plates as a "classic" and use as a daily driver. What has been seen happening is too many people were paying the "antique" rate and driving 25+ year old beaters back and forth to work. After September, if you've got YOM plates and you pass the same donut shop at the same time every morning, then you're going to get a ticket.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reason why I was asking is becasue my insurance guy telling me if i registered the car as a antique/class the rates would be cheaper and then I would be covered the full amount that I have listed but I wanted to get personalized plates and wasnt sure if I could with antique. So I assume that classic auto license plate is just a plate that says classic but you are required to pay regular fees?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts