Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I forgot to mention that I saw a pile of original 1960s Ford dist. that TOE converted with MSD internals. He bead blasts the shaft and housing, lightly machines two "collar" areas, one on the shaft and the other just below the body, removes the factory mounting plate for the points and advance, installs an adapter plate, MSD pick up, wiring pigtail, and the 8 rotating fingers or whatever it is called. I don't know how he deals with the advance, but he can do it with or without vacuum advance. Externally they look stock, but the internals are MSD. For the purist, he will replace the MSD pigtail with a single coaxial black wire for a stock appearance. TOE sells these for $250-275.

I am thinking of going this route on my 65FB that has an I6, by taking 6 cylinder MSD guts applicable to an import car dizzy and put into my stock dizzy. That would be trick!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I have an MSD billet distributor in the Fastback and the MSD pickup is the same as a Ford Duraspark pickup. In fact, I drive my MSD dist with a Duraspark box (as backup to the 6-AL box). Perhaps the vintage dist could be converted to Duraspark for less money.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Ignitioneering did all that for me including two bushings and Pertronix instead of MSD...plus they curved it for my engine and car. Was about $150 3-4 years ago. The only time my car has ever misfired or anything ignition related was when a plug wire came loose.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the duraspark conversion is cheaper. A poster here, female who owns an I6 200 equipped car, did a duraspark conversion on her car's dizzy. According to TOE, the MSD pickup is a Ford pickup. Apart from the color coded wiring harness and the MSD 8-fingered trigger in the dizzy, I guess they are the same. I think the downside of the duraspark conversion is that it externally alters the dizzy, however, I may be mixed up with the Davis unified high output ignition which is a combination dizzy cap and coil all in one. (I think).

·
Registered
10,803 Posts
The only tell tale of a Duraspark dizzy is the three wire harness exiting the body. A bit of heat shrink makes it look like one thick wire, problem solved.

·
Registered
8,682 Posts
I agree with Hemi, apart from the part number and the three wire harness there isn't much of a difference. That is assuming you have the small cap on there ;)

IIRC, the older dizzy's had a hole with the wires going through a grommet. The duraspark dizzy's have a oval notch that the grommet slides into.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts