Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While gathering parts for my '69 sportsroof's interior, and having 2 other '69's in the family (one of which has seen 2 wrecks this year), I've been looking a LOT lately at '69 parts. Is it just me, or do the people that post here in the classifieds, seem to live in a fantasy world? First I get sick of wading through countless cross-posted advertisements from vendors ... ones that list 2 gazillion parts in the '69/'70 parts section, but only 1 of the 2 gazillion is a '69/'70 part. And ALL of them are WAY over priced! I know that '69 parts are expensive, but come ON! Example $300 for a fender ... I've bought 2 INCLUDING shipping now for a total of $250. NOS tail light lenses ... $70 ... I paid $35 for mine (yes, NOS ones). It goes on and on.

I have looked at the parts section probably at least once a day for the last 6 months and haven't found a single part worth buying.

Ok, let the flaming begin ... I'll step down off the soap box now.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I,m with you John.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Same here. It seems an ehay price mentality is permeating the classifieds.
I've been cruisin' the 69/70 section too with occasional forays into the other sections.
Maybe it's time to charge for posting. Seperate the wheat from the chafe. It would ultimately raise the prices of the goods sold even more though.
And even then it wouldn't cover the cost of a moderator.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm with you. After finishing the restoration on my 65 I started the 69. WOW! was I shoked at what I couldn't get and what I could get I would have to sell off my first born to pay for. But look at the prices a 69 M code Mach 1 are fetching. Make mine Red with a white interior please.....Billy :: :: ::

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
John Your right on the money with this one, IMHO. I've had some good luck selling some things lately in classifids but I haven't been after top dollar ( Call me Stupi) but I try to sell to indiviuals rather than parts broker types who just put what I sell them back up for double the money.

Now lately buying has been another story, seems like everyones selling same stuff at ridiculs prices, occassionally stumble accross a fair deal but getting harder and harder to find.

For me personally the thing that gripes me the most as majority of these guys when I contact them for donation to auction to help pay the bills around here I get no response at all its like they feel its there right to use this space and not help cover cost.

There are of course some notable exceptions Like Matt at Ponderosa, Cobra Automotive, Tony Branda, Virgina Mustang, The Mustang Ranch, Virgina Mustang, Mustangs and Muscle, Hal at Vintage automotive, Mustangs plus and a bunch of others that have steped up and made donations which we all apprieate. After all it keeps the lights on.

I have recently started contacting these others first PM and if no response than post to there adds asking them to please consider helping out. I wish I good say its working but in most cases NOTHING. Persoanlly I've decided not to do business with those types but thats just my choice.

I really think its time for some changes in rules for Classifides, either limits or requiring some type of doantion for there free space, after all Hemmings charges, and if someone doesn't pay there out, why should we be differnt. Its not like were trying to make profit here just trying to cover expenses.

Hey I might be able to help you on 69 stuff I have buddy whos currently going throuh his 3000sq feet of mustang parts that will be done shortly and I suspect we can find some of things you need at fair prices, I'll speak with you this weekend about it.

Mark

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I agree with your rant. My own policies are:

* Don't look at the post if the poster is a known 'parts reseller' (exc. for vendors as noted by MYTOYS above)
* Compare prices with those in the NPD catalog, in order to get a feel for the fairness of the price.

What I like to do (as a parts seller) is to keep tabs on the various forums here, and, if I see someone looking for a part, I PM them with a deal. I'm like Mark; I just want to get the parts off to someone that I know is going to put them to good use. :)

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Kind of hard to answer but: have been doing these cars for 21 years and have seen many changes. Gone are the days of scoring $50 fenders, etc. but things still pop up. 69's are alien to me having only done one 70 and vowing never to go past 68 again. And, in my final years of doing this, will stick with 65/6. Times they are a changin' said Dylan. Maybe it's ebog, maybe it's V-M, who knows. Prices will get higher. See ads that are ridiculous, often a new person or an opportunist that spotted something and wants to triple his money. Yet, a person can still score a nice 66 tailight harness for 5.00 at a U-pic. Happened a month ago. Saw a response to a V-M ad for an article with no price. Respondent posts. "What's you starting price?" Hello! it's the same as final price! Unfortunately, many people do not feel happy if they haven't chiseled a price, even if it's a bargain. They miss out on their "bragging" on line or at a show, etc. Have been selling some things and have priced them well to move them. Have done ok. For a good part, like a pair of not pitted, near mint 68 front marker lites with mint wiring, etc., will price them firm but at a price close to, but less than a pair of repops. I bought two items this week on V-M and they were quite reasonable. But, on the same page, is a pie in the sky price for an article. Overall, John, prices are higher and probably will continue. Feel for you, re 69's. Have watched the prices and they going up. Guess it does along with the ol' supply and demand gig! 69's are more popular today. :)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Amen! Id also like to rant against those morons who use the classified to "let us know" about a great part on "E-scam", I hope more of the guys like "Mosa" (not to pick on anyone in particular, just looking at todays posts), who are charging boo-coo bucks for parts will start making contributions for this site......

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I like your new pic johnpro, Santa Cruz mountains? and yes I've never had luck with 71-73 parts.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I guess most of those parts vendors are trying to retire early on what they are asking for some of the parts.
I'm sorry but $1100 for a fold down seat.. give me a break!

All we are asking is for a reasonable priced part so we can finish our cars... Is that too much too ask.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I'm always looking for parts to finish my two '67 coupes. I have many extra parts for '67 and '68's with a few misc parts from other years. I try to read the forum and see who needs parts that I may have, but that I don't need or I have extras of, then PM them and let them know. That way I know I'm getting the parts to the people that really need them. Heck, I've even given parts to people on this forum just because they needed them.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I have to agree - when a fold-down rear seat costs more than my work car, something's wrong. But the bad part is, someone has to be paying these prices, or they would have to lower them.

Doug

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
I have some 69 parts left from the deal with My Mach 1 send me an email or PM and let me know what you need. If I have something you need just pay shipping and make a donation to the site and its yours.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gone are the days of scoring $50 fenders, etc
I bought a fender last week for $67 + $65 shipping (and this was from CANADA! *LOL*) and another 3 months ago for $50 + $65 shipping. Both excellent fenders with no rust or bondo. Then I see one in the same condition going for $300 in the classifieds. I know prices aren't what they were 20 years ago when I built my first one, but these guys are just on drugs!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for the offer. I think I pretty much have everything I need now, after scrounging here and there for the last year (and hope to have the interior finished now within the next week). I was more just griping about the behavior and prices in the dream section, er, huh, classified section. I will give you a shout, though, if I come across more stuff I need.

·
Premium Member
19,220 Posts
Uhhh...excuse me. As a government representative, I must object to your discussing classified information. Attorney General John Ashcroft has vowed to put all leakers of classified information in jail and throw away the key until the war on poverty has ended.

I've contacted my friends in the Justice Department. You should be seeing some nice gentlement in suits and ties real soon....

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,378 Posts
I pretty much don't even bother to look anymore. Happily I'm at the point where I don't need much that's likely to be advertised anyway. I save my money for the swap meets. Unfortunately a lot of people there also have the "Ehay mentality". Sure, if it's true NOS stuff, I expect to see a high price. But some rusty and pitted chrome parts (for example)are often offered at a higher price than commonly available and well made repros. If I were pricing a used part, I'd at least have a peek in an NPD catalog to see if they were being sold and for how much.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I'm with you on that one JP....

all too often the NOS craze brings the price up logarithmically...
I once heard a discussion about this arguing that the price of these parts has the price of medical, dental, retirement and cost of doing business attached to it.

Granted the cost of doing business is a great one, but alot of these vendors sell stuff on the side.

The best way to protest the pricing is to allow them to keep their high priced parts and shop around elsewhere.

It would indeed be nice if the people who advertised on here as much as they do, donated some proceeds to keep the site they use afloat.

I also know what you mean re:swapmeets, boy some of them even get
offended when you don't buy! heheh

Don't take things personal, make a counter offer you feel is reasonable and watch them turn colors. ;)

R

1 - 20 of 20 Posts