Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another similar website they have some simple rules for the classified section. Basically, if the ad does not state the PRICE, LOCATION and contact info, the ad is pulled.

Why do people place an ad for ANYTHING they are trying to sell without posting the PRICE?? And don't give me that crap about asking for offers. People know exactly what they WILL take and what they WON'T take for any given part or car. Why make people have to ASK "how much" when YOU are the one trying to sell the item????????? (Mosa comes to mind)

Would it be too much to ask that VMF adopt these simple and common sense rules as well?

Rant off

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
As my dad likes to say, people are stupid, but don't tell THEM that. :lol: I suspect while we'd all like to police the ads and weed out all the dumbasses who can't post a half decent ad, I doubt anyone involved here can spare the time.

Then again, if you can put up with the crap, you can score. Two sided coin I guess...

Not that I don't agree...

·
Registered
339 Posts
I agree. If you don't know the price you want to get you shouldn't be allowed to float an item just to see what someone will pay.

·
Registered
10,607 Posts
BillDavenport said:
I agree. If you don't know the price you want to get you shouldn't be allowed to float an item just to see what someone will pay.
Exactly, that is what eBay is for...

I've posted items for sale without prices, but that was my 71-3 garage clean out ad, which was more of a "I've got a lot of parts for X, let me know whatcha need" sorta thing.

I agree, price and location should be required.

G

·
I completely agree. If you don't know how much you want for something you're selling, then don't list it for sale!

The cobra jet forum does not allow classified ads without a price. I'd like to see that same policy implemented here.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I agree completely the seller always knows what his selling price is to him. It does bring to mind a funny car sale many years ago. After my advertising in a local paper a older individual [probably my current age] decided to buy the car. He drove it several times as did his mechanic and daughter. This was over a period of a week and the daughter; 30 something, was thrilled her Dad was buying her a car but both weren't happy with the asking price of $xxxxx or "Best Offer" so the price haggling started to begin but without them offering a certain amount but doing the usual tire kicking routine on the car. But after a brief conference between them they came back with an offer several hundred dollars over my beginng asking price. I hadn't had a single other call about the car so I ended the deal and accepted my original asking price after explaining to them what "best offer" met to me. Even though they had been a major pain I couldn't take the higher price and it was the funniest car sale I've had all my life.LOL

·
Registered
433 Posts
I do agree as well,I for one don't really know what a fair price is for some parts and with out a base price listed then i don't want to offer more than it's worth,I guess that's partly my fault.Just list what you want for it! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I agree with all the above plus I hate it when they do not respond when you ask what they want for it. I started offering $1.

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
I disagree. I'm on a board and they pull it immediately if no price is given. It really pisses me off. Sometimes I just have some junk I need to get rid of (And maybe I don't know the value of it?) so I just post what I have and say "Make an offer".. I mean if I post a whole car and someone goes "$5" obvoiusly no, but if it's something small I'll just take it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
1) I completely agree with everything stated above. If you are not sure on the price you can get for something...name a price + obo (or best offer)

2) Do I need a certain number of posts before I can post in the classifieds section or do I need to make an initial donation? How come I can't post in the classifieds section as of now?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I agree 100% Dusty. Another sore spot for me is when people post a link in the for sales to parts they have put on Ebay. If I wanted to buy off of Ebay I would seach there for them.

The biggest problem I have is that when people post things for sale and you send them Emails about them they get back to you right now. Once you send them the money that's the last you hear from them. That really pees me off. How many rants have we seen on this forum about sellers like that?

I guess in a nutshell people are on Fishing expeditions.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JohnnyK said:
I disagree. I'm on a board and they pull it immediately if no price is given. It really pisses me off. Sometimes I just have some junk I need to get rid of (And maybe I don't know the value of it?) so I just post what I have and say "Make an offer".. I mean if I post a whole car and someone goes "$5" obvoiusly no, but if it's something small I'll just take it.
But that's exactly the point! You say you've "got some junk" you "need to get rid of". Fine, YOU know it's condition, not us. And as you stated above, you know you wouldn't take $5 for. So bottom line is YOU DO KNOW WHAT YOU WANT FOR IT. So post it in the ad, or don't bother putting the ad in and wasting everyone else's time.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JohnnyK said:
But that's exactly the point! You say you've "got some junk" you "need to get rid of". Fine, YOU know it's condition, not us. And as you stated above, you know you wouldn't take $5 for. So bottom line is YOU DO KNOW WHAT YOU WANT FOR IT. So post it in the ad, or don't bother putting the ad in and wasting everyone else's time.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I agree.....and dis-agree...If I'm browsing the ads, and something catches my eye, I click and read the description ....if no price is listed, I move on...the seller loses out. After all...these are no longer free, so once the fee is payed, they can post them how-ever they want. other boards I frequent doesn't have a fee...BUT has rules (ex. price must be listed) that must be followed.If it is a part that I simply cannot live without, I "go to all the trouble" to send a pt and inquire about the part/ price. I mean really...regardless of price,are you not going to contact a seller and inquire about condition and agree on a price based on that info?..Just like buying a car..everyone wants to see pics first to determine condition/price. For the record ...I have rarely sold anything on here, and only bought a few things...but..if it is a run of the mill piece that I am looking for, the guy who has a price in the ad will get my business first...If a guy doesnt list a price, he is just hurting himself...

Joe

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Would you buy ANYTHING from any establishment if you had to ASK the price of everything you looked at? Do you eat in resturaunts that have no prices on the menu? Do you go to grocery stores or clothes stores that don't post their prices?

NOBODY is going to decide to buy ANYTHING without first knowing what it costs. So, therefore, making buyers ASK the price of something you have for sale is just plain assinine.

·
Registered
443 Posts
for the most part i agree with you dusty,,but i also agree with 65fstbk...if you are going to charge for a classified add,,i think you can word it anyway you want...as long as its clean of course..if an add is pulled becouse of lack of price when teh add is payed for id say you would have to give an imediate refund...i suppose you could stipulate that the price must be given before they pay for the classified,orelse its pulled,,but i still wouldnt agree with that..i think if you pay its your space to post what you want and how you want (within reason of course)..make the classifieds free and then regulate it however you want!!!

as for ebay links,,i find them very helpful,,i cant tell you how many times if found parts i missed on ebay through a clasified add link...the way i see if is if you dont want to buy on ebay ,,dont click on the link...
i tend to use links in a classified add just becouse its easier posting pics on my website than here..alot easier to link to an exsisting pic,,and im my opinion its only 1 click away and not alot of trouble

1 - 20 of 35 Posts