Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about using a clay bar-Meguieres system-on wifes Benz to bring the paint back. Anybody have any do's and dont's?

Thanks.

J. Boggs

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
i say throw that in the trash. I was just starting t use it. My car had a gloss wax on it and i wanted to see how it did removing a bug spat or something. I shot the wetting stuff on the car and went to rub it with the clay and the clay stuck! It was like i hit my car with tar. I tried washing it off i tried the clay bar to rub it off. It left a real nasty smudge that was not fixed by washing and waxing. Finally i used rubbing compound to get the crap off. I called to ask what i shoud do and they told me to get some stip stuff that removes wax and everything else but i could never find it in any parts store.

the problem was not using enough wetting compound but my car repelled the wetting compound so i'm clueless on how to use the clay. Maybe its just me. Maybe it is that my car is enamal and not color coat/clear coat.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Ford recommends not using clar bars because of clear paint removal. Take a trip to the local paint supply store and they will sell you what ya need to get done what ya need. Safer, easier, better, longer lasting paint

·
Administrator
19,503 Posts
I used Mother's clay bar system on my coupe, and it works great. The trick is to just do a small area at a time, maybe 2 square feet and to keep it wet with the detailing spray. Lightly rub the clay bar over the paint until it no longer is picking up gunk. You can actually hear it picking up dirt on really bad paint. Keep turning the clay bar, kneading the clay, and whatever you do, don't drop it on the ground. If you do, get another one as you'll end up grinding dirt into the paint.

When I did my coupe I was very doubtful that it would have any benefit. I was absolutely amazed at the difference it made in the paint. In fact, the paint became so smooth the bottle of spray kept sliding off the hood. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
114 Posts
Do not drop the bar. It sounds easy, but they get really slippery when wet. And if any dirt gets on the bar it scratches the clear coat visibly. I did more damage than it removed.
Gordy

·
Registered
59 Posts
What I have done, is use it when I'm washing the car. The soap and water keep it lubricated and moving very well. Don't put pressure on the clay, or it will stick to the paint. If this happens it is a pain to fix. Take your time, and you should be able to tell a difference.

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
The idea is the clay bar is supposed to be used on a surface BEFORE there is any wax on it. If you have wax on there, then you need to "strip" it all off. Just use dish soap and warm water. You'd be amazed at what that'll take off. BTW, in case anyone reads this that doesn't already know, don't use dish soap on a regular basis unless you plan on polishing/waxing your car every time you wash it.

In the case of the clay bar, you WANT everything removed. A hint for the clay bar, don't do it in the sun, especially if you have a dark colored paint. The cooler it is on the surface you are rubbing, the better. Otherwise the clay will stick to the surface, when what you want is to get the contaminants to stick to the clay.

As others have stated, DON'T DROP IT. One bar is good only for about 2 whole cars, then needs to be replaced. But if you take care of the finish, then you only have to do it once. It's also nice for removing stubborn bug guts.

I've been AMAZED at what that bar system can do. I saw it turn a Firechicken from what looked like an OK paint job, to darn near show quality.

For a Mustang, expect it to take you a solid 3 hours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts