Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
We just bought a 65 coupe to do a father daughter project with my youngest for her first car. The car is ruff but pretty much all there. My question is.. has anyone been able to clean leaves and debris out of the cowl with out cutting it open? This car was left parked under a tree for 10 or so years and the cowl is full of twigs and leaves etc.. Can you reach up through the vents from under the dash or am I just better off cutting it open?

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
224 Posts
Your most likely going to have to cut it open anyway to fix the rust... even if there isn’t rust (which I’m sure there is), you ought to open it up to paint and seal the whole area anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your most likely going to have to cut it open anyway to fix the rust... even if there isn’t rust (which I’m sure there is), you ought to open it up to paint and seal the whole area anyway.

Thank you, that is pretty much what I figured. :(

·
Registered
224 Posts
I thought I was in the clear, even ran a hose in the cowl to see if water came in... but then disassembled everything under the dash and founds the mounds of caulking and sealant plugging up completely rusted hats! Good luck

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
...and yes, if you remove the heater box and the vent pipe on the drivers side you can reach up in there and clean and blow or suck most of it out and also get a better idea whats going on up in there. Perfect job for small child like arms:sleep:

·
Registered
34,248 Posts
With the fenders off you can blow the crap out through the drain openings on the sides using compressed air.
Yep. It'll be messy, but you'll get it clean. Once it is completely clean inside, if the bottom of the cowl hasn't rotted through, spray the inside with this-

·
Registered
609 Posts
If you remove the front fenders you can get pretty good access to inside the cowl by cutting a door in each end and hinging them back for access. after cleaning, treating, etc. just close them back up and weld up the seams, you get fairly good access, insure the drains are clog free, and it all gets covered back up by the fenders. If more serious repairs are required the fenders come off anyway.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Yes, you can clean the cowl just fine with the car mostly intact....but you must remove the heater box and driver side vent assemblies.

1. Remove the aforementioned vents.
2. Take a high HP shop vac....feed the hose up one vent and snake it all the way across the the cowl to the other vent area.
3. Reach up the vent area you are trying to clean and break up 50 years worth of stuff with something that wont scratch any remaining paint(I used a screwdriver because I intended on replacing the cowl anyway, but you could use a pen or something plastic....just something to break up caked layers of dirt and leaves)
4. Switch on the shop vac and suck all the debris out of there....it will take a good 15 minutes per side.
5. Repeat the process with the other side.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Everything @wicked93gs said is how I did the one on my son's car. You have to be a little bit of a contortionist, lay in the floorboards and reach up and over etc, be sure to get it clean all the way around the edge of the hats. If they're rusty, but solid, you may be able to get away as I did, with pouring POR-15 or using heavy coats of the Eastwood stuff with the 360° sprayer to fill any pinholes, low spots and ultimately make it rust-proof forever.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had rodent nests and leaves and twigs and pine straw and all kinds of crap blow into my face through the fresh air vents the first time I went down a highway after getting my car running after she'd sat for years. I'd imagine compressed air would have about the same effect.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you remove the front fenders you can get pretty good access to inside the cowl by cutting a door in each end and hinging them back for access. after cleaning, treating, etc. just close them back up and weld up the seams, you get fairly good access, insure the drains are clog free, and it all gets covered back up by the fenders. If more serious repairs are required the fenders come off anyway.
I've heard of cutting those openings and fitting them with rear shock access plugs. No welding needed then and can always open them up to clean again if needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts