Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently preparing my 302 for a touch up coat of rattle can corporate blue paint. The engine has about 6,000 miles on it since I rebuilt the motor in 2004 and only minor oil/dirt was built up. I cleaned build up of oil and dirt from the engine using wax and grease remover and now need a general cleaner/degreaser recommendation to clean the engine with prior to scotchbrite and painting. What do you guys recommend? Gunk degreaser? Dawn? Formula 409? I am doing this in a 2 car garage and do not want to make too much of a mess... I plan to use a new sprayer I bought for weed killer with hot water for rinsing everything off.

Thanks,

dm289

·
Registered
10,337 Posts
Brake clean and blow it dry with an air nozzle.

·
Premium Member
6,084 Posts
I use rubbing alcohol a lot of the time. I can get a quart of the 90+% pure stuff for less than a buck, screw a sprayer from another bottle on top, I can mist or stream it where I want it, it will dissolve deposits and when wiped it evaporates cleanly. Also use it for chrome and glass with no streaking. Dirt cheap.

Reactions: dm289

·
Premium Member
5,313 Posts
Lacquer thinner or Eastwood's Pre

Reactions: dm289

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use rubbing alcohol a lot of the time. I can get a quart of the 90+% pure stuff for less than a buck, screw a sprayer from another bottle on top, I can mist or stream it where I want it, it will dissolve deposits and when wiped it evaporates cleanly. Also use it for chrome and glass with no streaking. Dirt cheap.
I second that. Rubbing alcohol is what I have been using on my parts. I like to do a light sanding before spray as well. Gives the paint a surface to cling to.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Use Brakecleen or other cleaner, to remove the dirt, and blow dry.
Follow up with alcohol or a grease & wax remover to remove any left over contaminants.
Make sure it's clean, or you'll just be wasting time and paint.
When I was in my teens, I learned that lesson well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts