Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what options I have on removing the rust/Grime/Paint that is on all the fasteners for my car and then protecting them from further corrosion? I have heard ppl talking about using Muratic acid to remove everything; I understand this is very dangerous but works great. How long does it take to work? I don't want to invest in a "tumbler" and I’m not going to blast every single bolt, nut and washer to the car. As for protecting the stuff after it’s clean... I have seen plating kits in the eastwood catalog, is this what i would use? Would the coating come off the threads when I put the bolts back on? I am not building a concourse car or anything so I’m not worried about the looks.... as long as it isn't rust /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Thanks in advance,
Jason

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I cleanded mine in a basket with carburetor cleaner then took the really corroded ones to a wire wheel on my bench grinder and then painted them. They look good. BTW be careful when using the wire wheel, if one gets away from you it can shoot out like a bullet.....

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
muric acid is a mix of mostly water and 18%-8% HCL acid it is not dangerous if you use the proper equiment like chemical resitant gloves+goggles maybe a breather - never tried anything like that but i've worked with muric acid as a pool cleaner

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I use the wire wheel on my grinder (I second the say of be carfull of shooting bolts - do not do it around the car). Then I use Eastwoods Oxysole or the blacking kit. Then I top coat them with Eastwoods Satin clear. On suspenion Nuts, They get a was of thin red paint also.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Belives it or not, I've had good results using something called Rust-Solve, or something like that. I got it at a local swap meet. It disolves rust and leaves a slight phosphate coating. On heavy rust, it doesn't work as well, but on the light rust on bolts, it works and the finish is stock looking.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Lots of hardware i'm using i am changing to fine thread and fiberlocking nuts. These are all gold colored, either cadmium plated or zincdichromate.
Any bolts that i want to keep original, then i ship them off to a plater. They clean them and then i have them zincdichromate plated. As for corrosion prevention.......so far so good (some are 6 yrs but it hasn't left the garage yet either).
Washers etc..... i buy new. Sending them to the plater doesn't cost too much. A handful of bolts, maybe 6 bucks.

·
Premium Member
7,160 Posts
I have a working relationship (pay money) to a metal fab shop that does plating as part of their process. They charge me $50 per 5 gallon bucket. EVERYTHING that can be stuffed in to the bucket comes back chemically stripped, and zinc plated. They can do bright zinc, gold zinc, or black zinc. I have done hood hinges, motor mounts, every bolt, screw, fastener, etc. engine brackets, door latches, carb parts, lug nuts, air cleaners, and for grins, toss in a few pennys, as long as it is not pot metal, it goes in the bucket. You would be amazed at how nice it looks when it comes back, and it does not rust later, and is all bright and shiny. It really beats dipping, grinding, and then having them rust later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts