Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a box of misc. Craftsman sockets that either are heavily or lightly rusted. I was wondering if anyone had any special concoctions for cleaning these up.
Open to any and all suggestions.
thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,327 Posts
Soak them in distilled vinegar until all the rest is removed, dry them and then soak them in a light machine oil then wipe them down.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
+1 on the Evaporust.

Don’t forget they have lifetime warrantee. You can return them for free replacements.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
You will be amazed with what Evaporust can do.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I've used the white vinegar before. It worked very well. What is the price comparison between a gallon of Evaporust and a gallon of white vinegar?

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
+1 on the Evaporust.

Don’t forget they have lifetime warrantee. You can return them for free replacements.
Yes, but if they're old Craftsman sockets, it would be a mistake to take them back rather than clean them up. He would be giving up a quality built tool for a not so nice, new, piece of crap, Chinese pot metal socket.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,281 Posts
Either white vinegar or evaporust, they work better/faster if warmed up a bit.

I LOVE t9 boeshield to prevent rust from forming later.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I've used the white vinegar before. It worked very well. What is the price comparison between a gallon of Evaporust and a gallon of white vinegar?
A gallon of Evapo-Rust is about $25 on Amazon, so it's a lot more than white vinegar. I also suspect it would be a lot more effective.

For flash rust or if time is not of the essence, the vinegar would be fine.

For heavier rust I would use a commercially prepared solution.

John

EDIT: just found another listing for a gallon of Evapo-Rust for like $17:

https://www.amazon.com/Evapo-Rust-Original-contains-non-toxic-biodegradable/dp/B00M0TLQ66/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=evapo-rust&qid=1566477177&s=automotive&sr=1-4

·
Registered
37,786 Posts
Just ordered a gallon of EvapoRust on Amazon Prime for $16.88, free shipping.

·
Premium Member
6,327 Posts
Heinz Distilled White Vinegar may be $3.00.
If I had a large surface to treat or it was deeply pitted, maybe the costly stuff. Best way I've found to keep my tools frost-free is to use them, wipe off the heavy grease, and put em away dry (meaning away from my kids).

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Either white vinegar or evaporust, they work better/faster if warmed up a bit.

I LOVE t9 boeshield to prevent rust from forming later.
I keep an old crockpot around for this kinda stuff. Picked it up at the thrift store for a couple dollars.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I keep an old crockpot around for this kinda stuff. Picked it up at the thrift store for a couple dollars.
For bigger items, I picked up a submersible aquarium heater to warm my Evaporust.

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
Yes, but if they're old Craftsman sockets, it would be a mistake to take them back rather than clean them up. He would be giving up a quality built tool for a not so nice, new, piece of crap, Chinese pot metal socket.

Ain't that the truth. It really annoys me how Sears has flown the Craftsman name into the ground.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Evaporust lasts until its gone, it never wears out.

I have a gallon thats been through hell and its still about 3/4 of a gallon.

I strain it every so often.

·
Registered
1970 Sportroof Mustang Grabber Value Package
245 Posts
Evapo rust will do it.
+1 on Evaporust. I filled my motorcycle tanks with it and soaked them for 3 to 5 days and they came out awesome, they had sat up for 12 years with fuel in them. Great stuff

·
Premium Member
7,493 Posts
They are closing stores around me, here in the Mid-Atlantic. I need to gather up, on or two I have and trade for the new China Dolls..LOL!

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
No need to rush just 'cause Sears is closing. You can get your Craftsman tools at Ace Hardware, Lowes, and K-Mart (if they're still open) now too.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I would not think rust is a warranty issue.

+1 on the older Craftsman. I still have, and use, the set I bought 40+ years ago.

Reactions: myfirstcar66
1 - 20 of 21 Posts